Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 oil pump

yup it will with no problem.

only problem will be chance of cracking the oil pump. You should read up on how to remove the pump, you want to leave the oil filter on it for a handle to aid removal. DO NOT pry the pump off, it will crack if you do. I learned the hard way.

only problem will be chance of cracking the oil pump. You should read up on how to remove the pump, you want to leave the oil filter on it for a handle to aid removal. DO NOT pry the pump off, it will crack if you do. I learned the hard way.

This.

That damn pump is so sensitive and will warp even with the tiniest bit of force. As bheinen said, he learned the hard way, as did I.

I very GENTLY removed my oil pump and still ended up warping the damn thing. After the re-seal it was still leaking, so I ended up getting a new pump and that solved the problem.

The old parts guy at my dealer said it was very hard, even for their well trained techs to not warp the pump upon removal back in the day. He said they always kept some in stock because 90% of the time they would warp, and he said whenever they took the pumps off they would just replace it to avoid putting the old one back on and having it leak anyway.

I got a new pump at the dealer for like $60. You can attempt to re-seal it, but there is a good chance it will leak anyway. Good luck.

• 3 months later...

I have a 100hp version of the EA81 on a Gyroplane. The oil pump is now leaking. Here is my question as I am NO mechanic...

I also have an oil cooler installed on this engine. I have 2 lines that run from the oil pump where the oil filter is installed back to the oil cooler.

DO I NEED AN OIL COOLER? This was already installed when I purchased the engine/gyro. Do I need an oil cooler because I fly this engine at a higher RPM than when in a car? I take off at 5000 RPM and cruise at 4500 RPM.

THOUGHTS?

I have an oil temp gauge as part of my gauges. What temps are OK for this engine? Again, the 100 HP truck version of the 81.

Reading this threads tells me I need to just order a new oil pump and not bother with fixing the existing leaking one. This sound about right?

Thanks folks!

Doug

It is in an airplane. The best is not too good for the application! Although perhaps a Gyro won't fail catastrophically if the engine does? I would still rather be very sure my engine was going to last a long time.

The pumps sounds cheap at any price.

Keep it. The engine is putting out more HP continuously than it was originally designed to produce intermittently.

It wouldn't have an oil cooler if it didn't need it. No one would add useless weight to an aircraft engine.