Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i already had the main sending unit/pump replaced when i got my 97 Outback and i was trying to locate where i'm still getting gas smell/leak from and upon pulling the cover from above the secondary sending unit (which fell apart in a pile of rust..) :o i noticed there's only one line connected..

guess the question is-is this unit for a reserve for when tank gets down to a certain level on gas ? couldn't tell if it was a high pressure line cause i'm not even seeing a clamp of any type (which concerns me now that i think of it..)

(may have to have that unit replaced to cause i slightly touch the metal tube and rust came off (and i think i created tiny leak hole in tube)

frigging a..the car is just about perfect (rust/trouble free almost) except for fuel tank and connections..

Friggin a..just got off the phone with stealership..$400 for the fuel pump assembly..all because what needs to be replaced doesn't seem to be available at parts store and parts dept can't order just that part (where it attaches to top of tank and has two elec connections and a single tube coming out the top..)

:banghead:

guess it'll just be getting patched for now..

now the unit on pass side..it that just the sending unit (fuel level) or is there a main fuel pump in there..?? (wondering if me and parts dept got things mixed..)

Edited by subie94

I think they were quoting you for a main fuel pump assembly which is on the passenger side.

If you're saying it has a hose on it though I don't think it's the sending unit. As far as I can tell the secondary pump is inside the tank and not replaceable. There is a secondary sending unit for the fuel gauge on the drivers side, but it shouldn't have any hoses on it.

Take a picture of what you're looking at and post it and maybe we can figure out what it is exactly that you need.

it sits/bolts to the top of the gas tank on drivers side.I'll see if one of the computers at work (which i'm on right now) will allow me to upload a pic and i'll try in a bit to come back and edit this with pic..

what is in question has one hose to it and a electrical connection.

I got it taped up and jb Welded..drove to work and i can see that gas is seeping alittle out from under the P*** poor patch job..

*on a good note,i'll be picking up a factory multi cd player from a guy for $30 tomorrow night..*

i already had the main sending unit/pump replaced when i got my 97 Outback and i was trying to locate where i'm still getting gas smell/leak from and upon pulling the cover from above the secondary sending unit (which fell apart in a pile of rust..) :o i noticed there's only one line connected..

guess the question is-is this unit for a reserve for when tank gets down to a certain level on gas ? couldn't tell if it was a high pressure line cause i'm not even seeing a clamp of any type (which concerns me now that i think of it..)

(may have to have that unit replaced to cause i slightly touch the metal tube and rust came off (and i think i created tiny leak hole in tube)

frigging a..the car is just about perfect (rust/trouble free almost) except for fuel tank and connections..

There is not a reserve tank. Subaru calls this a "jet" pump, it is just a simple syphon with a fuel sender, The senders are wired in series. Another source for the gas smell is a bad fuel cap (i just went through this).

I have a complete rust free fuel tank with sending units and pumps. Your's for $80 + shipping. I can strap it to a pallet and ship it to you. If you have a business address or can pick it up at a freight dock that would help.

My fuel smell was solved by the fuel filler neck. The one I removed only had a little surface rust, but the smell went away with the new neck.

Larry CO 80919

I have a complete rust free fuel tank with sending units and pumps. Your's for $80 + shipping. I can strap it to a pallet and ship it to you. If you have a business address or can pick it up at a freight dock that would help.

My fuel smell was solved by the fuel filler neck. The one I removed only had a little surface rust, but the smell went away with the new neck.

Larry CO 80919

your friggin awesome..( i mean,what are the chances of someone having rust free items that i need..)

how much do you think it'd weigh ? i'll check to see if i can have it shipped to my work (Home Depot in Concord,N.H.).will check tonight when i go in and will send you a P/M with exact address shortly after about 10pm..

It's not that heavy, but it is large!

ok so it shouldn't cost to much but prob a extra charge for bulky item..

when i get to work tonight,i'll check with management (don't see any issues.)

and like i'll said,i'll log back on and P/M you full address for work.

There's two fuel level gauges, one for each sump of the tank. The average of those two readings is what the dash displays.

The fuel returning from the fuel pressure regulator gets run through a nozzle in the passenger side sending unit of the tank before it dumps back into the tank. That nozzle creates a low pressure zone that sucks fuel from the auxiliary sender pickup (the pipe you see coming out of the drivers side) and transfers it into the passenger side, keeping the fuel pump submerged until the drivers side of the tank is empty.

With the rust you have going on, you'll need to replace all the pipes on the body while you have the tank out. Do the rear brake lines at the same time too. It will be a ************-show of crumbling rust and breaking bolts.

There's two fuel level gauges, one for each sump of the tank. The average of those two readings is what the dash displays.

The fuel returning from the fuel pressure regulator gets run through a nozzle in the passenger side sending unit of the tank before it dumps back into the tank. That nozzle creates a low pressure zone that sucks fuel from the auxiliary sender pickup (the pipe you see coming out of the drivers side) and transfers it into the passenger side, keeping the fuel pump submerged until the drivers side of the tank is empty.

With the rust you have going on, you'll need to replace all the pipes on the body while you have the tank out. Do the rear brake lines at the same time too. It will be a ************-show of crumbling rust and breaking bolts.

ok so the item in pic isn't pressurized but a vacuum suction..

yeah,not looking forward to tank removal and such (that is if i'm not the one that physically does it)