Ultimate Subaru Message Board

timing belt change for 2000 imprezza

I've got a 2000 impreza, 2.2 automatic, non turbo, with 79,000 miles on it. Is it time to change the timing belt? If the answer is yes, what else changes with it. I know the water pump needs to be changed out, but what else? Also, should I use only Suburu parts, or can I get a better price elsewhere, with the same quality? Any advice is appreciated. This is a first time job for me on the 2.2, I've done the job on the on my '86 and on my '88. Thanks.

~Myles~

Okay, wait, :o this is actually Connie trying to help Myles out, by posting a question for him, while he's at work. So if something sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about, I'll take the blame. He needs to get his parts ordered so he can get this done. Thanks

~the con in buzzcon~

lol! yes, it's due by age, replace the belt sooner rather than later.

my preferred option, along with others on here, are the ebay kits which include the belt, tensioner pulleys, and timing pulleys. theimportexperts is often mentioned and i've used them as well.

you can also get a kit with the water pump or buy it separate. in the past i used to buy the kits for the pulleys and use a subaru belt, though i've been using the belts for awhile now too.

i don't go with Subaru on these because i replace everything and the price is prohibitive of that. you can order from an online subaru vendor and see if you like the subaru price.

Thanks for the info, Gary. I went on ebay and bought the kit, with the water pump. Connie had most of it right. but it only has 70,000 miles and I hadn't even thought about the age of the car; I was just going off of the mileage. I'm so used to my older Subes, that I think of the Impreza as my new car. :grin: I'm glad you reminded me that age counts!

~Myles~

I've just replaced the timing belt on my 2002 Forester (102,000 miles & 116 months).

It was due at 105,000 miles & 105 months.

So it was overdue on age.

The old belt looked almost brand-new to me: No surface cracks visible; and the printed-on markings were still just visible on the back side, suggesting minimum wear.

• 3 weeks later...

Do the ebay vendor kits come with the markings on belts? someone told me OEM has markings to assist in proper installation of timing sync. The water pumps from ebay kits, just as good as OEM? And what about drive belts(ac & alt) They good from ebay also?

Do the ebay vendor kits come with the markings on belts? someone told me OEM has markings to assist in proper installation of timing sync. The water pumps from ebay kits, just as good as OEM? And what about drive belts(ac & alt) They good from ebay also?

some have markings, seems like the ones i've gotten do, but not sure all of them do. the markings are not even close to necessary. line up crank, cams, and install belt - make sure they're still lined up after belt install. really simple. you can even count teeth if you want, though i don't bother since it's so simple to visually inspect. since the timing belts have "teeth", it's either exactly right or it's completely wrong, there's nothing ambiguous, difficult, or tricky about it.

the accessory drive belts are rather benign, i'd just get them from anywhere myself.