Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Radiator questions.

Hello everyone! i have some questions, my radiator developed a small crack, i would like to know what my best choice would be to get a replacement, considering funds are very tight, am lookin at the Spectra premium copper core radiator, (100.00$ at shucks) (85.11$ on rock auto plus shipping), would these cheap plastic radiators be worth it? or would i be better off getting one from the junkyard? or would that be bad, because of old coolant sitting in it getting chunky? oh and its a 1990 loyale SOHC, any input would be great, thanks in advance!

hi,

in the overall i think the all metal ones are a better part , but if you can get the 2 row core version you will have much better cooling capacity than the standard single row. probably looking for a turbo version to get a two row, do a search on here , this has been covered several times with part numbers & prices & supplier companies too.

Hello everyone! i have some questions, my radiator developed a small crack, i would like to know what my best choice would be to get a replacement, considering funds are very tight, am lookin at the Spectra premium copper core radiator, (100.00$ at shucks) (85.11$ on rock auto plus shipping), would these cheap plastic radiators be worth it? or would i be better off getting one from the junkyard? or would that be bad, because of old coolant sitting in it getting chunky? oh and its a 1990 loyale SOHC, any input would be great, thanks in advance!

My OEM one had the plastic tanks and it lasted about 14 years, so i'd say they have a decent track record.

Edited by sario

Subaru hasn't even used a metal tank radiator in over a decade. Correctly manufactured there is no issue with them. They tend to last just about as long as the brass units. Further the plastic tanks handle the expansion characteristics of their aluminium cores better and the single row aluminium core rejects more heat than a single row brass core.

GD

I replaced my oem one with CSF all metal. Tthe fans had a gap on the side I had to fill in with RTV. It's a two row instead of single, and the cooling tubes are wider than the stock but the fin density is thinner. I don't know what the metal is, but its not aluminum. Oh and the new radiator has a gap at the top between the AC condenser and radiator, so now the AC is a little bit warmer.

If i had to do it again, i would buy an OEM style one with the plastic side tanks.

Alright,:clap: thanks for all the input guys! I have been down with the flu for a while, but im back up again. now to get things done!:popcorn: i think i will just go with the Plastic tank Radiator and see how it goes, as they are not very expensive and seem to do an adequate job.

-Cheers