Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RWD EA81 Subaru?

I had the thought of pulling the front CV axles and throwing it in "4x4" delivering power to only the rear of the car.

Would the front hub and spindle even stay together without a CV?

Has anybody thought about this?

Im not saying Ill do this its just a thought.

But it sure sounds like alot of fun

You need the axle through the hub to hold it together, otherwise there's nothing to hold the hub on.

You'd need to get just outer cups with no axle shaft and bolt those through the knuckle to hold the hub, brake, wheel, etc together. If you did that, yes, it would work.

You'd put a lot of extra strain on the rear driveline parts though.

I'm 80% positive you can with an EA82T so I'm assuming that you could...

Umm, what?

Edited by 987687

Nice Subaru!

I thought the hub would stay together but I went and played with the front end of the 85 Brat and learned a little.

STA71019.jpg

I thought you can only take the inner joint apart on a CV axel?

STA71021.jpg

How do I get the outer apart?

Dose anybody know whats up with the markings on the top of the strut?

It seems to say to install the struts differently for a sedan or 4x4

You need to get a thin walled pipe that slides pretty tightly over the axle (from the inner end). And it needs to be longer than the axle. Then drop it pipe end down on something hard and it should pop the outer end off. There's a vid on youtube somewhere... I've never managed in getting one back together after doing this though. But they come apart nicely.

Yeah just leave the outer axle stubs in and it will be RWD. i have done it quite a few times and its what happens when you break a front axle.

Then You Can Do This!

1990 Loyale

1985 GL

This will cause you to break lots of stuff though, so dont do it for long, i blew 2 axles, 1 diff, and a drive line.

• Like 1

You need to get a thin walled pipe that slides pretty tightly over the axle (from the inner end). And it needs to be longer than the axle. Then drop it pipe end down on something hard and it should pop the outer end off. There's a vid on youtube somewhere... I've never managed in getting one back together after doing this though. But they come apart nicely.

Thanks for the tip. Ill look around for a pipe and and grab a junk axle that I have no intention on keeping and see how it goes

Then You Can Do This!

1990 Loyale

1985 GL

This will cause you to break lots of stuff though, so dont do it for long, i blew 2 axles, 1 diff, and a drive line.

Looks fun sounds horrible. Poor ol EA.I think Ill leave the burnouts for my Chevy truck.But I do have to say I love your lifted EA82. its got the perfect stance

You will eventually toast the transfer gears in the transmission running it in RWD. The Subaru transaxles were not meant for it. Especially the 4 speed's as they have smaller gears with smaller teeth.

If I were to do it I wouldn't plan on running it to long. Just enough to slide around abit out in the field in the title-less wagon. good stuff to know. thanks for the replies

Lots of good info here. Especially the parts about you break stuff if you get too excited in RWD.

I researched this extensively a couple of years ago, and drove around in my '84 wagon for a few days in RWD while waiting for my new axles. Somehow (for once in my life) I resisted the urge to do doughnuts.

As far a getting the axle cups off I tried a few recommendations here on the board to no avail. I eventually ended up getting a thin cut-off wheel for my drill motor and sliced out some sections of the bearing cage (the part that holds the bearing in place). Wasn't too hard and worked great.

Now I always keep them in my car along with the few tools needed to replace an axle just in case I have a catastrophic axle failure.

I have dreams about my subaru being RWD with dual range 4WD. I <3 RWD