Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cat went pop?

1992 Subaru Loyale; 332k

Been driving the Subi every day now, put probably 250 miles on it since the HG replacement. Fixing little things here and there, but I think I have an issue; possibly severe; with the cat.

The HGs were gone long before I got to the car. Little copper flecks all over the radiator cap, in the coolant, and all over internally; someone ran some HG fix through the cooling system. Lots and lots of oil residue on the passenger side cross member and the cat was totally coated.

Long story short, I noticed a decent sized oil mark in the driveway. Nasty burnt smelling black oil. The oil in the engine is right where it should be, and still transparent and decent smelling, so I know it's not the engine. I looked at the back of the cat, and it was dripping oil and had a lot of residue still on it.

Cut to the chase; is it feasible that a ton of oil collected in the cat from the HGs being gone, caused it to flow horribly and pop a seam, and is leaking said oil now?

And if so, how do these engines take to a more open exhaust from the y pipe on back? Probably cheaper to have a 2" catless with a nice throaty muffler built, than to replace the cat itself.

...how do these engines take to a more open exhaust from the y pipe on back? ...

Those EA82's Takes a Little bit Less Restrictive Exhaust Very Good! ... I Run my Weberized EA82 with a Catless "Y" Pipe since 1993 without any Problem, also it seems to Help the engine to gain a Little extra acceleration.

Kind Regards.

Those EA82's Takes a Little bit Less Restrictive Exhaust Very Good! ... I Run my Weberized EA82 with a Catless "Y" Pipe since 1993 without any Problem, also it seems to Help the engine to gain a Little extra acceleration.

Kind Regards.

Sounds like the way to go then. I don't have to pass emissions, so I'm more inclined to get a little more oomph out of the engine as well as a better exhaust note.