Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 4 cyl OBW - need new starter

Actually, I got the contacts intending to rebuild the one that is in the car, but I'm not able to remove the starter myself (I tried) and therefore I will probably have to take it to my independent mechanic, where I simply won't be able to be around to 'rebuild' the starter.

I don't know of any rebuilds that have a bad reputation. I have had good luck with the "Worldwide" rebuild brand. It is priced on the lower side of the rebuilds. I have only had to replace two starters over the past 15 years on my three Subies, so with the rebuilds holding up and doing well, I don't have much experience in running into bad rebuilds.

The starter is not that difficult to replace. I do the work from the top of the engine. You have to be a bit of a contortionist to reach a bolt or two, but it can be done. The danger is dropping a mounting bolt upon reassembly. I stuff rags and paper towels under the starter to "catch" a bolt should I accidentally drop a bolt. The rags prevent the bolt from falling somewhere that makes it difficult to retrieve the bolt.

the top 14mm bolt is one of the transmission to engine bellhousing bolts and is typically tight. but it's never rusted or corroded, it just takes a pipe over the handle of the socket or long breaker bar and they come out the same every time.

starters fail so rarely you may not get any more than anecdotal and limited experience on this one unfortunately. there have been a few Subaru remanned alternator failures, does that mean they're to be avoided, i don't know?

since they fail so rarely i'd be tempted to just install a used one. might even be able to take it apart and clean it up before handing it to your mechanic.

I was able to remove the top bolt with no trouble. From above although I could position the socket on the lower bolt I could not get enough 'swing' to get it loose. From below, on jackstands, I simply could not get my socket on the bolt. No doubt I could have gotten it done were it on a lift, but the DIY facility that I have used in the past unfortunately just went out of business.

I was able to remove the top bolt with no trouble. From above although I could position the socket on the lower bolt I could not get enough 'swing' to get it loose. From below, on jackstands, I simply could not get my socket on the bolt. No doubt I could have gotten it done were it on a lift, but the DIY facility that I have used in the past unfortunately just went out of business.

It has been a while since I replaced a starter, but seem to remember the "swing" problem with the handle. I think I remedied that by using about a long 10 " extension bar between the socket and the drive handle.