Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Couple of Loyale questions.

I keep hearing a distinct gear whine that sounds like it's come from the transmission at low speeds. Much like the sound of most cars' reverse gear (Manual trans) Is that common on these cars or should I consider changing the fluid? Gear oil is nice and transparent and full. Just thinking it may be to low of viscosity?

I also can't seem to find a definitive answer on ignition timing. It runs well, but I notice a flat spot around 2700-3000rpm that feels like it's out of time. I'm at 1000ft elevation if that matters, just wanting a good starting point more than anything (Have seen everything from 8* to 20*)

Finally, anyone who's done a manual belt/trim piece swap: Does anything line up right, or is it a sacrifice in aesthetics to not have the auto noose in the car? I put it in and have all sorts of gaps at the head liner. Not to mention the stock female end has to be cut off?!

Thanks in advance.

the computer has to be put into a special mode to set the timing, then put back. I clip the two green connectors together near the wiper motor, (90 Loyale) start the car, set the timing, then turn it off and unclip them

I took the belt out of a '93 Legacy. I had to pull the trim over the window etc etc, driver seat.. it's different on the ej cars than the ea. the bottom line is that even that car had unused factory bolt holes at the right location to mount an older lap belt from another car era and get rid of the 'auto noose' (well put), I had to change the receiving end to match of course

use the search a bit and the timing should be 'splained better elsewhere

welcome to the board :drunk:

the whine with as many miles as it has can be normal.. i'd have to hear it to know more tho.. i am pretty sure the headliner is different between the auto belt and manual belt cars... along with the obvious plastics, etc.

we'll have to get together sometime..

the 4wd in a loyale is vacuum operated with an electronic switch setup if i remember right.. the electric switch under the hood likes to go bad and can either lock in 4wd or not work at all...

timing is pretty easy too.. if all the marks are right and its in time with connectors connected, and its still running wierd (like timing) the belt/belts could be off a tooth.. of course being spfi it can be a number of things in the fuel / intake system to..

the whine with as many miles as it has can be normal.. i'd have to hear it to know more tho.. i am pretty sure the headliner is different between the auto belt and manual belt cars... along with the obvious plastics, etc.

we'll have to get together sometime..

the 4wd in a loyale is vacuum operated with an electronic switch setup if i remember right.. the electric switch under the hood likes to go bad and can either lock in 4wd or not work at all...

timing is pretty easy too.. if all the marks are right and its in time with connectors connected, and its still running wierd (like timing) the belt/belts could be off a tooth.. of course being spfi it can be a number of things in the fuel / intake system to..

I'm 100% certain that the cam timing is perfect since I checked it about 15 times in the course of reassembly. I'm not 100% certain on the diz though. I set it about 15* back from #1 (trying to account for the angle of the gear) and the rotor was right on top of the #1 plug mark at TDC. I tightened it down at exactly where it was when I bought the car, so it's currently "gud nuff".

It's not in 4wd either, double checked all the vac lines and such. When I was doing the brakes, I had the car up on stands and double checked engage/disengage and it was all good.

I do have a code 34 CEL and am trying to find time to go snag a 68Ohm resistor at the shack since I pulled the one out that was already at the solenoid and plugged it back in... lol. I'm used to seeing rigged up crap like that in wind turbines and am so used to pulling crap like that out... guess I'll read up more next time.

The whine doesn't sound bad, just wanted to make sure it was a fairly normal sound.

almost every scooby i have owned has had a little whine to it.. i had one that was so loud i couldn't drown it out with the stereo. ( i replaced that tranny even though it worked fine)

i'd say as long as its not super loud.. not a big deal..

in stock form the ea82's like a couple degrees advance on the timing from stock.

Nah it's fairly quiet, and it's only in reverse and 1st.

I set the timing at 20* and it definitely woke it up a little bit. Still a flat spot at 4k or so, hopefully the exhaust I just got done mocking up will allow it to breathe a little better and pull through the power band. Probably could use some new vac lines and a seafoam treatment to help the intake out.