Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"New" Brat - Hitachi Questions

I bought another Brat, (3 total now)

this one is a project......

Carb that was on it was a Rochester(?) single barrel with a handcrafted(dodgy) adaptor plate, gummed up with gunk from sitting

i decided to replace it with the Hitachi carb from my DD brat that worked pretty well when i took it off.

my issue is that most of the vacum lines have been removed and the aircleaner and hard lines bastardized, i don't really want to put them back on unless i have to......

i think these threads would answer most of my questions - but the pictures don't work and i kind of a visual guy..

not sure if GD can fix the pics or post new ones

i want to know what is nessasary to make the vehicle run,

it runs now but dies when i open the choke butterfly, and idles really high

i have almost all the vacum lines just blocked off

this is a off road/farm utility vehicle so economy is not an issue

just has to start and run reliably at low speed

this is a winter project so i have some time - will post pics at some point

As much as I always want to keep things original, the Hitachi is nothing but garbage in my book.

Instead of chasing your own rump roast in circles, I would (and did) just drop the coin on a Weber carb.

End of problems.

Let me know if you need any help or need any work done. Im right up the hill in Moscow.

I know this wasn't the original question, but I have to respectfully disagree with Idasho. Yes, the hitachi doesn't quite live up to the weber, but it's not complete trash. If you spend some time rebuilding/cleaning as well as tuning, you can get it working pretty well. The major downside on the hitachi is that pretty much the only easy tuning you can do is setting idle speed and mix, so if you've got problems at higher speeds, the only option is rejetting. So if you're willing to drop the dough for a weber, there is an improvement, but if you've got more time than money (like most of us), the hitachi will do just fine.

hello Wallby,

sounds like a vacuum leak;

close off all vacuum hoses on/at the intake and the carb. including evap can

plug or crimp EGR pipe

plug the exhast air system

this should get your idle manageable...if not

cup your hand over the carb to feel the vac

...suction gets higher the more you close your over hand carb with a good suck when it dies=good(for the most part)

...suction gets higher to a point ...but does not die=leaking intake or carb gasket

...carb spits=clogged slow-jet

the only problems i've seen with Hitachi carbs are;

the upside-down screw in the throttle plate--doesn't stay tight

the power valve wearing out and sticking--isolate and remove

have fun

thanks for the replies,

yes i agrre that a weber would "solve my problems" but i think the hitachi will serve my purpose if i can make it work:burnout:

(i have one on my daily driver)

i will try these things when i have some time - October is Harvest time on our farm - kids and pumpkins......

that and my DD (with the weber) won't start this morning....that is more urgent at the moment.

thanks again