Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi Guys,

I have a 93 Impreza with a 1.8L in it. 229K 5spd awd.

Car ran great the first 30k I've owned it. Went out to start it and just as soon as it lit, it died. Now it only cranks. I had driven it only hours before this start attempt.

Checked for spark by removing the wire at the coil and watched it jump. Yellowish color. removed the fuel line from the fuel rail to the filter. cranked with a strong flow. had a spare coil, replaced with the same results as before.

Even used my battery charger on 200amp start setting to boost the voltage input to the starter. opened a section of the timing cover (battery side) to witness the timing belt tight and still turning. I attempted to start it using starting fluid after my first attempts, but this also fell short. Not any sign of life!

No CEL on either.

I've owned many of these Subaru's but this is the first one not starting.

Suggestions on further diagnostics would be greatly appreciated.

Sensors, relays?? I'm baffled! Please help...Thanks!!!

it takes 3 thing for the engine to run.

spark

fuel

and air, under pressure.

it will never run with those compression numbers. either the test is wrong or the timing is WAY off or all the valves & rings are bad.

one of these is more likely and one of these is less likely.

i think more testing is needed. maybe a leak down test.

is your compression gauge good?

Just one question? "did you recentley get fuel from A--- station. if your tests were wrong and you find that its something else. try Heet and a fuel injection cleaner. it has happened too me. darnnest thing it was operating fine few minutes ago, go to start and nothing. I found that if I spent a little more on fuel a better grade all my vehicles operated better and the milage jumped up.:brow:

Update:

I also questioned the compression test to be accurate.

I also have a 93 legacy 2.2.

Hooked it up to just one cylinder and tested. The gage jumped to some where around 145 psi. Did the exact same thing. but this time disconnected the wires from the coil to insure a no start!

I'm taking off the t-covers today to review.

We shall see.

Keep you posted!