Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Did I blow my head gasket or worse?

Severely overheated my 92 legacy due to an unnoticed leak in the radiator. It never started running poorly just noticed while driving that the temp indicator was WAAAYYYY above the H. Stopped, driving, got the radiator replaced... its back on the road now but now I get some dripping near the thermostat, it doesnt look like the thermostat housing or gasket its self though, looks like its dripping from the engine. Did I blow a head gasket, crack a head or block, etc? Still runs the same as it used to, no bubbles in overflow and no mixing of oil and coolant from what I can tell.

Well thats the probelm, I cant really see exactly where its coming from yet either. I left timing belt covers off at last timing belt change, so I will watch the water pump with it running as soon as I can. It didnt overheat from the pump failing, I had a crack in the radiator that I didnt see (no smoke no puddles etc just a nice crack in the plastic that seemed to leak when I was driving apparently). If its head gasket or freeze plugs or anything that requires engine work I will probably just try to drive it as is and fill the coolant occasinally, I have 340k miles and the car isnt in the best of shape anymore. Water pump I would probably reluctantly replace. Getting tired of working on my car every weekend honestly.

• 1 month later...
the dripping went away after a while with no intervention on my part. Coolant level is ok and not dropping as far as I can tell. Works for me. This engine is indestructable.

Do you really want to test that last statement? :)

Replacing the water pump is not particularly expensive, specially when compared to buying an engine. Just saying...

Testing it right now ;) Yeah I know it isnt expensive to replace, but its been working fine for a month with no leaks and the heater is killer so I know I have decent circulation.

Looking at replacing this car eventually so throwing time and money at something that is still working is not something I am willing to do. At this point it is fix stuff when it breaks, and just keep it on the road until it is not practical anymore. The car is beyond the point of trying to be meticulous about. Buying the dang radiator was really painful to do, let alone replacing a water pump that is still working.

There comes a point when just giving up and buying a subaru in better shape with half the miles and working AWD for $1500-2000 is more attractive then wrenching on it with any free time I get. In the meantime, fix what breaks as cheap as I can and move on to the next problem. Next on the list is failed CV joint. yay.

A mechanic friend, who works on my Subie said you can do one major over heat without damaging a Subie engine. Maybe this is so, maybe not. Maybe a Subie motor over heating is like a cat with 9 lives, except it only has 2 lives.

I understand your fixing only what needs repaired when it breaks. It makes little sense to dump extra money into a car that is on its last legs. I have had that approach on 2 previous way over the hill rides, and glad I did what I did.