Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Frozen Valve.

After sitting for several years I got my Loyale running again. The only problem now appears to be a frozen valve. Only 3 cylinders is getting pressure and the 3rd appears to have the valve stuck open. are there any easy ways to solve this without taking out the motor and opening her up? A local place wanted $800 to fix it but that's not happening.

YOu may actually have a deropped valve seat. Pull the valve cover ans dee if you can locate the offending valve. If it is truel stuck, youmight be able to rap it with a hammer and get it loose. A dropped seat is going to require machine shop repairs.

Good luck

Does it make a ton of noise when its running?

Dropped seats are very loud and do a lot of damage very fast...if it is a dropped seat, your cheaper bet will be to get a new head. I used to be an auto machinist and know first hand what it takes to fix them.

How do you know its a stuck valve?

I wouldn't rule out head gaskets, a timing belt mis-aligned, or possibly a burnt valve. If the valve is stuck, its going to make horrible noise from the loose rocker arm rattling against the cam and lifter. I've never had it happen to a Subaru, but head gaskets dont always leak coolant when they go. I've also had them leak cylinder to cylinder, cylinder to outside the motor, and cylinder to oil passage

I'd take the valve cover off and possibly the cam towers to see if anything is apparent there. If you decide to tap the valves, be careful because they are small and can bend, also if you miss and hit the spring retainer, it can pop the keepers out and the valve can fall/get pushed into the cylinder. Just look for slop in the valve train...

You can also drop the exhaust header(5 bolts) and use a rubber tipped air nozzle to pressurize the cylinder at the spark plug hole. Spray the back of the exhaust valve with soapy water, if they leak, you'll see bubbles. A small amount of bubbles isn't bad, but if you have no to little compression, you'll likely see/feel a stream of air coming from the back of the valve or a mountain of bubbles.

Have you checked your coolant, and oil for compression gases?

engines do not like to sit idle. Moisture does bad things and you are seeing that now. You may want to try taking the valve covers off and inspecting the valve train and rockers. Spray some PB Blaster on the valves and let it soak. You may free up the valve. I am pretty sure that you are going to end up pulling the head on that side in order to fix the problem. It really isn't that hard to pull the heads off an ea82. You can even do that with the engine in the car.

In my opinion, it is time to start tearing into the engine and see what you find. Let us know as you inspect and we can make suggestions as to how to procede.

Good luck.

I recommend putting a little seafoam on the valves to try to free them up if one is indead stuck. I don't know what PB blaster does in oil, but seafoam can only do good and is designed for breaking up varnish, which builds up in valve guides.

Motors hate to sit and not run..the oil becomes acidic and eat/weakens bearings, varnishes solidify, seals become hard and brittle, ethanol in gasoline eats fuel lines...its never good and I wouldn't be surprised if you have more motor issues down the road. I've seen motors come in for rebuilds after they sat..two come to mind..one was a buick V6 that sat for 3 years in storage, then the owner used it as a DD. The bearings became weak from acids in the oil, and caused one of the cam bearings to seize snapping the cam in two while on the freeway. The other one was a chev 350, same story except it was most of the mains that seized along with a couple rod bearings.

Any vehicle thats mothballed, should be started and warmed up at least once a month along with bi-annual oil changes. Turning on the A/C will keep it alive and turning on the heat will keep the heater core healthy. Taking it for a drive also prevents drivetrain problems and keeps it ready to drive at anytime.

I don't think anyone is trying to berate you. Just giving you info for the future. Personally, I think that you will be abel to get the motor up and running again. These are very robust engines. It is just going to take a little bit of work to fix the issues.

Good Luck