Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi I have a 99 L series impreza and Im looking into doing a wrx swap. I would do a sti swap but dont know if that would be more of a hassle with the 6 speed tranny. Looking for a decent swap where i can just pull and drop without much modifications. The wrx model would be fine just dont know what one swaps over easiest. If someone could help me out with letting me know whats the easiest engine that has decent power and where i the wiring may not be a huge hassle that would be great. Just need info like will wrx tranny fit right in? Do i need to change cross member? Just wants this to go as smoothly as possible. Any help is greatly appreciated

My personal advice would be to just save the money and buy a WRX. But some people are in it for the adventure I suppose.

You'll need pretty much an entire donor car. You don't have to swap transmissions unless you really want to, but then you'll also have to swap the rear diff to match the final drive ratio.

Engine related you'll need the whole engine, turbo piping, wire harnesses, ECU, and will probably still have to do some custom wiring to make sure everything gets power.

Exhuast you don;t particularly need, but expect to spend some $$$ on aftermarket/performance exhaust parts (headers, up pipe, down pipe, cat pipe, and catback).

But then there are other parts that make up the "WRX", brakes, (have to be able to reel in all that power and make the car stop) suspension parts like struts and springs, sway bars to keep it on the road, larger wheels to fit over the larger brakes, etc.

More specific info on a swap of this magnitude can be found on some of the more performance oriented Subaru forums like NASIOC or RS25.com.

This is one of those questions that there's no good answer to - basically if you have to ask it you probably shouldn't be considering doing it.

Buy a WRX and have fun with it. It will cost less than doing your proposed swap and it will have more "WRXness" than your swapped mess will have with the money you are likely to have available to perform the deed with.

GD