Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2002 legacy gt ATF leak, any ideas?

I have a weird transmision leak on my legacy and i am having a hard time finding out where it is coming from. The leak is dripping fluid all the way down my exaut pipe and it doent appear to be coming from the front(engine side) of the tranny. Is there something back by the driveline that could leak or is it most likley the pan gasket that is leaking and fluid is just getting everywhere due to the air movement while driving down the road?

Ya I am positive that it is trany fluid as i have been through a couple of gallons of it in a month.(had no garage in between moves to look at it and had to get to work). The cardboard trick doesnt work either due to the fact that it is running all the way down the car. Is there a sensor up by the filter? it looks like it but it is hard to tell, also if it is the cooler lines is there gaskets for them or does it just take a new clamp?

Sorry its kind of vauge this is one of those that is hard to diagnose without being under the car, and it is just hard to see anything on top of the tranny or on the sides. Just wondering if anyone knew of a common problem for them.

The cooler lines are part steel tube, part rubber. They go into the transmission case on the drivers side. The rubber hoses are known to dry rot and split. ATF cooler hose is like $2 a foot at most parts stores.

The steel lines can rust and get pinhole leaks. The rusted parts can often be cut out and replaced with a rubber section with no problem.