Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Headlights again

opus

I talked about this a year or so ago. Time to readdress it a little differently.

Time to ditch the GL headlights. How about yanking everything out and sticking a round bucket and lamp in there. Who has done it before? Need something legal though.

I want to get rid of the whole assembly, not just the bulbs. I have great bulbs, its the assembly that sucks. I want glass, not plastic.

*Cough* Plastic? Where could you haver ever gotten a GL or Loyale with Plastic headlights? They are all glass (Unless your talking about a Legacy)

Personally, I'm looking at installing HIDs and projectors into my Loyale. I've done a few such swaps on motorcycle headlight assemblies with positive results. Stock appearance, with much enhanced performance.

+1 Turbone did a GREAT write-up on this.

I plan to do it, itll take work, and if a lens gets broken...

Well... crud.

Guess Ill make spares.

People put the DL head lamps in the GL/Loyale area too, thats a swap but its not a round headlight.

+1 Turbone did a GREAT write-up on this.

I plan to do it, itll take work, and if a lens gets broken...

Well... crud.

Guess Ill make spares.

People put the DL head lamps in the GL/Loyale area too, thats a swap but its not a round headlight.

It's a task that doesn't require a ton of skill, but requires patience and attention to detail. After scabbing a set of Silvia projectors into the little bitty CBR headlight housings, doing it in a big ol Loyale headlight should be cake.

Why not Squared Headlamps?

IMG3784A.jpg

That setup came Factory on Early DL's

Kind Regards.

The DL quad light swap is common enough, they are sealed beam glass units (Like you want) and the light output with the DL style is vastly improved. I think thats te way to go for cheep effectiveness.

I have HIDs in my Loyale (They work awesome) others may say different.

The stock headlights are 100% useless to me in this country. I wanted round because there are only 2. I really dont want 4. Gee...I thought sticking 2 round lamps would be something simple. I cant believe no one has done this.

I was looking at some headlight options last night and thought my best bet would be to go with a 55/100 halogen bulb found here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380221347071?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Those seem cheap enough at $4:50 each

Then I got to looking further, and found that in Germany they have aftermarket headlights for our cars, and I think they are H4 which gives us more lighting options then the 9004’s that ours take.

The link to the aftermarket German headlight is here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/110704483466?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

I wrote to the guy to ask about shipping to the us, but have not heard back from them yet, then again, my German isn’t all that great, especially when using Google translate. so he may still be trying to figure out what I'm asking :brow:

Edited by Stubies Subie

The stock headlights are 100% useless to me in this country. I wanted round because there are only 2. I really dont want 4. Gee...I thought sticking 2 round lamps would be something simple. I cant believe no one has done this.

The problem is the output and focus of the reflectors. Putting rounds in won't solve any problem unless you stick something with a lot higher light output in.

Check out http://www.theretrofitsource.com/ for information on swapping in projectors. You don't even need to run HIDs (although if you go to the trouble to put projectors in, you may as well). Stock headlights reflect the output of a bulb into somewhat of a light pattern, whereas projectors collect and project the lighting output of a bulb through a magnified lens. Kind of like cooking bugs with a magnifying glass :brow:

This is why all high end cars and motorcycles are coming with projectors.

I was looking at some headlight options last night and thought my best bet would be to go with a 55/100 halogen bulb found here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380221347071?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Those seem cheap enough at $4:50 each

Then I got to looking further, and found that in Germany they have aftermarket headlights for our cars, and I think they are H4 which gives us more lighting options then the 9004’s that ours take.

The link to the aftermarket German headlight is here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/110704483466?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

I wrote to the guy to ask about shipping to the us, but have not heard back from them yet, then again, my German isn’t all that great, especially when using Google translate. so he may still be trying to figure out what I'm asking :brow:

For those prices, I could retro in bi focal projectors with 55w HIDs and have about $30 left over (not even taking the huge shipping charges into account)

You guys are going to make me have to go pull a set of projectors out of a car at the PNP and do a write up lol.

If I get a light, with a lens that is actually clear and has a reflector in it, I have my battles won. Remember too, its a $500 car.

How about a headlamp with a post...kinda like a plow light without the turn signals.

If I get a light, with a lens that is actually clear and has a reflector in it, I have my battles won. Remember too, its a $500 car.

How about a headlamp with a post...kinda like a plow light without the turn signals.

Oh... well that changes things immensely.

I took a set of these super cheapies and mounted them to the bumper of my friend's taco. Worked well for off roading and weren't too hard to aim for street legal use. They have a reflector as well.

http://www.harborfreight.com/off-road-long-range-truck-light-system-3029.html

Remember too, its a $500 car.

What does that have to do with anything? Mine was also a $500 car, and look what it has turned into.

Being a $500 car does not justify doing a hack job or being unwilling to spend a little money, when in fact you could have your $500 Subaru for the rest of your life.

Anyway, those Harbor freight lights work well. I have a set ontop of the Legacy, I like them alot!

I have had my $500 car for a long time. I just wont put $300 worth of lights on it, let alone them hanging on the front end waiting for deer, elk, bear, moose and so on, to smuck them.

And what do you have with the 6000K HIDs in for housings?

I have had my $500 car for a long time. I just wont put $300 worth of lights on it, let alone them hanging on the front end waiting for deer, elk, bear, moose and so on, to smuck them.

And what do you have with the 6000K HIDs in for housings?

So if you spent $8000 on a car it would be worth $300 of lights? I still don't get it... I got a REALLY nice 2nd gen legacy for $400, does that mean I should drive it through the woods?

Look back at my post with the two hella 500s and the hella 750ff. Buying new that's only about $100 of lights, although, it's not hard to find them used .The output is amazing. Just have the switched by the high beams, with a switch to completely disable them.