Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Headlights again

opus

Opus, are you saying you don't like the lights because they are fogged up?

What I have done before is I took the lens assemblies inside the house so that they could dry out. After putting them back on the car I didn't notice them fogging up again.

If it is a seal issue, couldn't you reseal the lenses?

What I have done before is I took the lens assemblies inside the house so that they could dry out. After putting them back on the car I didn't notice them fogging up again.

Wow, someone actually address the issue. The lenses are faded, yellow, whatever you want to call it. The reflectors inside are peeling too. They are junk. The bulbs are Sylvanias, which are fine. Just no way for the light to make it to the road.

I took some off before and baked them in the oven. It kinda worked but the reflectors in the buckets were bad too.

• Like 1

The fogging issue is most likely the seal between bulb base and the housing. I re-sealed mine, and the fogging didn't go away. And the only other place moisture could be getting in is the old hard gasket that seals the bulb in.

I realize my last post has nothing to do with what you guys are saying... but Opus can you take a picture... I didnt believe our housings COULD get yellow, I thought that was only the plastic housings... my headlights on my 1986 are still clear as... clean glass :lol:

They have turned yellow from rust, if they have condensation in them all the time, this creates rust, which makes the chrome reflector peel away and chip off. Theres no way to fix that other then finding better headlight buckets. You could try Silver paint (It might let the light bounce off it more)

Best thing to do if you have a seal leak is to, remove the headlamp assy, take the bulb out and blow into the bulb retainer (Creating a seal with your mouth) and see where the seal is leaking, then apply some clear RTV over the area (Thats how I have fixed them in the past with no re-occurring issues) also, use a hair-dryer to remove/evaporate all the moisture.

As for my Housings, they are bone stock (Except they are in mint condition, inside and out) I did not install a Projector.

Well... I Run my Bumble Beast with 5000K Dual Beam H.I.D.'s since 2008:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=89661&highlight=9104&page=8

... I cant believe no one has done this.

I've seen here in my country, a Loyale with Round Headlamps on each side and a metal sheet around (Painted as the car colour) to block the empty space... and it didn't looked nice at all. :-\

About the High output 9004 Bulbs and the H4 Replacement headlamps, let me Tell you that the German Brand: Flösser Sells a Replacement bulb to fit the 9004 Housing but with the REAL H4 100/80 Watts output (and Filament placement as the H4) in fact is a H4 Bulb with the 9004 Base.

I've posted it here many times but here it goes again: The 9104 "RALLY" Bulbs:

Bulb91049004-2.jpg?t=1213776848

Look at the Filament Placement on the 9104: it goes "Vertical" While the Stock 9004 goes "Horizontal" I Really Noticed a Brighter Lights with those, also those makes the Light to Reach Further.

With those 9104's to import a H4 Headlamp doesn't have any sense.

Look here: http://flosser.com/commerce/products/hb1-12v-10080w-p29t/?L=1

Kind Regards.

So, what your saying is that the Flosser 9104 is a direct plug in replacement for the stock 9004? if so, I'll order some.

About the High output 9004 Bulbs and the H4 Replacement headlamps, let me Tell you that the German Brand: Flösser Sells a Replacement bulb to fit the 9004 Housing but with the REAL H4 100/80 Watts output (and Filament placement as the H4) in fact is a H4 Bulb with the 9004 Base.

Look at the Filament Placement on the 9104: it goes "Vertical" While the Stock 9004 goes "Horizontal" I Really Noticed a Brighter Lights with those, also those makes the Light to Reach Further.

QUOTE]

Sounds like the best fix would be to go to the Pick n Pull and snag some better condition EA82 light assemblies. Or maybe just the reflectors, if you can polish off the lenses on yours. But might as well get the whole set. :-p

What state are you in? Are the EA82's getting harder to find there?

MT. There are loads of Soobs here, its the state car. No Pick N Pulls though.

Now that you mention it, I think there is a lady in town that has a car I can have for parts. I will have to check it out.

I spent all day yesterday trying to have a heart attack so that tied me up at the hospital all day and I kinda dropped the ball for a day. :/

...I spent all day yesterday trying to have a heart attack so that tied me up at the hospital all day and I kinda dropped the ball for a day. :/

HOLY COW!!! :eek:

I was in such situation once and the Doctor told me that I had some kind of Gastroesophageal reflux that does analog symptoms...

I Hope you'll be Alright Soon!

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
misspelled word

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I finally found a source for the Flosser 9104 headlights, the price on them was pretty fair to at $10.00 each, but the filament has changed, it’s not like the ones that Jeszek posted.

As you can see from the box, I got the right part number:

th_100_2427.jpg

And the part number on the bulb matches:

th_100_2426.jpg

But the filament instead of being vertical to the base as Jeszek described and shows in his photo, this one is horizontal to the base like a 9004 would be:

th_100_2424.jpg

Maybe it’s a change they made for the US market? I don’t know, but I’ll run them anyway, they still have to be better then stock.

I wanted to get bulbs like Jeszek got, you can see the difference here: but I think I'm out of luck to get one with the vertical filament.

th_Bulb91049004-2.jpg

Edited by Stubies Subie

...But the filament instead of being vertical to the base as Jeszek described and shows in his photo, this one is horizontal to the base like a 9004 would be ... I wanted to get bulbs like Jeszek got, you can see the difference...

Holy Cow!

It seems like US Laws are against the use of 'Real' 9104 Bulb, which really is an H4 100/80 Watts Bulb with Standard 9004 Base: So it has Vertical filaments as the H4 Does, Vertical Filaments ensure a Larger illumination Pattern.

The one with Horizontal Filaments is not a 'Real' 9104 Rally Bulb, is just a High power (100/80 Watts) 9004 Bulb, Horizontal Filaments gets Wider but Shorter beam Pattern, as Standard 9004 Bulb, but 100/80 Watts Should be Brighter than the Stock 65/55 Watts.

I Kindly Suggest you to Swap your Bulb's Terminals with Ceramic ones... or with time they will "cook" the plastic due to the Extra power.

Link: http://www.hiwtc.com/products/9004-9007-ceramic-lampholder-197379-22653.htm

Kind Regards.

Let me write some useful information:

9004 Headlams are designed to throw the Light beams to the road whith them placed at short altitude from the Road, in example our Subies: the 9004 Headlamps' placement is at less than one meter (Less than three feet) from the Road, so the Headlamps' illumination pattern will work as designed, properly with their 9004 Bulbs.

9007 Headlamps are designed For Higher placements, in example the Mazda B2300 pick-up; so, Those headlamps are designed to be mounted on taller vehicles, so the illumination pattern works properly with their 9007 Bulbs, they're designed to be mounted higher than one meter (three feet) from the Road.

9004 and 9007 headlamps' had they internal mirrors placed to be at Different altitudes.

That been said, please Do Not confuse the 9004 and 9007 Bulbs, because while they looks identical, They are designed to work spreading the Light at different altitudes from the Road, with differently designed Headlamps.

Also a 9007 Bulb will not match the 9004 Headlamps' Base, because the Alignment channels (Guides) on the Bulbs are placed differently: The Left and Right guides are equal on both bulbs but the middle one is moved closer to one side on the 9004 bulb, while is on the other side on the 9007 bulb.

If you modify a 9007 Bulb to work on a 9004 Headlamp (by making -cutting- another middle guide in the 9007 Bulb to fit the 9004 headlamp Pattern) You will end with the High / Low Beams going Side to Side, instead of Up / Down. :eek:

That gives poor illumination and could be Dangerous to blind the incomin' driver.

So:

• 9004 and 9104 Bulbs are interchangeable.
  • 9007 and 9107 Bulbs are interchangeable.

Forget about to interchange between 9007 (or 9107) with 9004 (or 9104) Bulbs / Headlamps.

I learned that because "I've Been there, Done that and Came Back" in late 1990's decade when I Tried to use Bulbs between my Subies and my Dad's Mazda B2300 (a very tall rebagged Ford Rager) ... I ended obtaining 9107 Flösser Rally Bulbs with 100/80 Watts output for my Dad's truck then, and they have more than ten years performing great.

Kind Regards.

this might be worth reading: http://candlepowerinc.com/pdfs/9004_9007.pdf

those 9104 bulbs you have use what they call an axial filament, and the ones I got use what they call a transverse filament

same part number, yet built different.

I read somewhere where someone took the 9007 bulb and removed it from the 9007 base it was attached to and retrofitted it into a 9004 base, I need to go back and find that artical.

maybe it's the design of the headlight itself or something that prevents the use of a axial filament in a 9004 bulb, but it seems to be it would be easy to do, there was one at some point by looking at the photos that jeszek has.

Let me write some useful information:

9004 Headlams are designed to throw the Light beams to the road whith them placed at short altitude from the Road, in example our Subies: the 9004 Headlamps' placement is at less than one meter (Less than three feet) from the Road, so the Headlamps' illumination pattern will work as designed, properly with their 9004 Bulbs.

9007 Headlamps are designed For Higher placements, in example the Mazda B2300 pick-up; so, Those headlamps are designed to be mounted on taller vehicles, so the illumination pattern works properly with their 9007 Bulbs, they're designed to be mounted higher than one meter (three feet) from the Road.

9004 and 9007 headlamps' had they internal mirrors placed to be at Different altitudes.

That been said, please Do Not confuse the 9004 and 9007 Bulbs, because while they looks identical, They are designed to work spreading the Light at different altitudes from the Road, with differently designed Headlamps.

Also a 9007 Bulb will not match the 9004 Headlamps' Base, because the Alignment channels (Guides) on the Bulbs are placed differently: The Left and Right guides are equal on both bulbs but the middle one is moved closer to one side on the 9004 bulb, while is on the other side on the 9007 bulb.

If you modify a 9007 Bulb to work on a 9004 Headlamp (by making -cutting- another middle guide in the 9007 Bulb to fit the 9004 headlamp Pattern) You will end with the High / Low Beams going Side to Side, instead of Up / Down. :eek:

That gives poor illumination and could be Dangerous to blind the incomin' driver.

So:

• 9004 and 9104 Bulbs are interchangeable.
  • 9007 and 9107 Bulbs are interchangeable.

Forget about to interchange between 9007 (or 9107) with 9004 (or 9104) Bulbs / Headlamps.

I learned that because "I've Been there, Done that and Came Back" in late 1990's decade when I Tried to use Bulbs between my Subies and my Dad's Mazda B2300 (a very tall rebagged Ford Rager) ... I ended obtaining 9107 Flösser Rally Bulbs with 100/80 Watts output for my Dad's truck then, and they have more than ten years performing great.

Kind Regards.

...those 9104 bulbs you have use what they call an axial filament, and the ones I got use what they call a transverse filament

same part number, yet built different...

Yes.

...someone took the 9007 bulb and removed it from the 9007 base it was attached to and retrofitted it into a 9004 base...

I Believe it is a bad Idea... Just like make fit the 9007 Bulb on the 9004 Base: The optics on the Headlamps (internal mirrors' alignment and Placing) is Different.

...maybe it's the design of the headlight itself or something that prevents the use of a axial filament in a 9004 bulb...

Let me Explain: The 9007 (and 9107) Bulbs have Axial Filaments placed almost in the Middle of the Glass Cylinder on the Bulb, while the 9104 Bulb has axial filaments placed almost to the Top of the same Glass Cylinder on the Bulb.

Why? to compensate the angle on the Mirrors, inside the Headlamps, that makes the Light beam to be a little Narrower but to reach almost Twice the Distance.

Please, note their Placement Up on the Glass Cylinder, even above the Placement of the ordinary 9004 Bulb's Filaments:

Bulb91049004-2.jpg

By that way, I can be Sure those 9104 bulbs were designed for the 9004 Headlamp, also they worked Fine in Low / High Beams the many years I Ran my Subies with 9104 Bulbs.

While the 9007 Bulbs had problems to work on the 9004 Headlamps, due to the Wiring (is Different) also they didn't fit and as I already explained in my post above, you'll need to remake one of the alignment channels (The middle one) to let the 9007 Bulb Fit on the 9004 Lamp and Still you'll Have a Problem: Since the Placement of the 9007 Filaments is different, you'll have a High / Low Beam goin' side by Side, as I Already explained in my post above.

So, I Kindly suggest you to avoid the use of 9007 (or 9107) Bulbs on 9004 Headlamps. Not only my own experience learned me to avoid that, but also you can read the same I wrote here on the Link you posted: http://candlepowerinc.com/pdfs/9004_9007.pdf

Kind Regards.

Let me Explain Why I wrote it could be Dangerous to Run your Subie's 9004 Headlamps with the 9007 Bulbs:

The Reason is that the Low / High Beams will be pointing to the Wrong direction, so they tend to 'move' somehow side by side, instead of up and down; that wrong Light beam could be Dangerous since it could Blind the incoming Driver's eyes and also it could not illuminate the Road as it should be: those 9007 Bulbs on 9004 Headlamps could point their light to the Trees up above the road...

Both the 9104 and the 9007 / 9107 got the Vertical (Axial) Filaments, but since the filaments on the 9104 are placed above than the filaments on the 9007, and stock car's wiring worked fine with them without changing anything; I hardly believe that the 9104 ones I owned long years ago, were a Factory mistake or a misplaced bulb on the wrong base...

Let me tell you that I Substituted the Flösser 9104 Halogen Bulbs on my Subie, with H.I.D.'s that have Natural (Yelowish) Colour and Dual (High / Low) Beams, to avoid Blinding the incomin' Drivers eyes... I Did that because the Flösser brand became So Scarse and expensive in my Country.

Here's the Thread:

http://ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=89661&page=8

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
Mispelled Word

it almost sounds like the 9007 would work if you could rotate the bulb 90 degrees one direction so the beams (between high and low) went up and down instead of side to side.

I got more bulbs coming and am working with the flosser rep to see if we can figure out what the difference is.

so far I've been told that the reason Jeszek had the filament vertical to the base while mine is horizontal is because flosser accidently sent a shipment of 9107 bulbs to south america and accidently marked them as 9104's

Jeszek and I have been conversing through private messages about this issue.

Stuart

it almost sounds like the 9007 would work if you could rotate the bulb 90 degrees one direction so the beams (between high and low) went up and down instead of side to side. ...

Well...

if you Rotate the 9007 Bulb's base 90º any side, Maybe you'll need to Cut all the Three Guides on the 9007 Bulb's socket to fit the 9004 Housing; instead of just cutting the Middle one.

...so far I've been told that the reason Jeszek had the filament vertical to the base while mine is horizontal is because flosser accidently sent a shipment of 9107 bulbs to south america and accidently marked them as 9104's ...

Well, I Really don't believe it is the Case, because, as I Explained above:

Both the 9104 and the 9007 / 9107 got the Vertical (Axial) Filaments, but since the filaments on the 9104 are placed above than the filaments on the 9007, and stock car's wiring worked fine with them without changing anything; I hardly believe that the 9104 ones I owned long years ago, were a Factory mistake or a misplaced bulb on the wrong base...

Yes, I Don't Believe that as "Mistakenly Marked Bulbs Shipped to South America" Because this facts:

• My 9104's fitted Right to the 9004's Headlamp housing without modifying anything.

• The Stock Subaru Wiring worked Great with Them without modifying anything, they lasted for Years without any issue; while the 9007's bulbs comes internally wired differently, as explained here: http://candlepowerinc.com/pdfs/9004_9007.pdf

• If the 9104's I Got then were really 9007's, then the Bulbs wouldn't fitted the lamps as they did, nor the electrical connection would have worked, isn't it?

Bulb91049004-3.jpg

Also I Know the Difference between the 9004 (or 9104) and 9007 (or 9107) Bulbs, as I Explained before, I Tried to Fit 9007's on my Loyale designed for 9004's, and... it takes much effort to make 'em fit and the Results were bad... That is Why I Obtained first the 9104's and then the H.I.D.'s as Explained above.

Bulb90049104-1Differences.jpg

...I got more bulbs coming and am working with the flosser rep to see if we can figure out what the difference is...

Good Luck!

Well, I always Try to do my Best to help, so if you insist that you want to fit the 9007 Bulbs on your Subie's 9004 Headlamps, I Kindly suggest you to review this Writeup full of explained Procedures to do that.

Here: ~► http://forums.g2ic.com/showthread.php?97759-9004-to-9007-Headlight-Conversion.-MUCH-BRIGHTER.

I Hope that can Help you...

Kind Regards.

• 2 weeks later...

The Flosser 9107 bulbs arrived over the weekend, so I’m a little slow getting this posted, but here goes :D

These 9107’s are the same as the 9007, not the 9004, and from this picture the filament is a little lower then the filament in Jeszeks 9104 bulbs.

th_101_2436.jpg

I can see how the light from low beam to high beam would move sideways instead of up and down as would be the case with this picture:

th_101_2437.jpg

I would have to somehow, remove the bulb from the base, insert it in the 9104 base, after rotating to 90 degrees one direction so the beam of light (from low to high) would go up and down instead of side to side.

th_101_2438.jpg

Hi guys, has anyone ever tried fitting late model GM truck large rectangular seal beams? Seems there mite be room enough beside them to place a small rect. driving lite in the stock GL space. I think they can be had in a much higher candle power form. Just a thot. Thanks, S.