Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 1996 legacy wagon 2.2. Car was running fine. Went out to start it one day and nothing. Cranked over, but no spark. Turned key to on position and a bunch of relays under the dash start clicking off and on....radiator fan clicks on for about 2 seconds....then off. Then everything starts over again.(relays clicking....etc).

OK....replaced ecu. Car started and sounded good, but check engine lite flashed off and on....blinking rapidly. Took car to a mechanic where I live hoping he can reset check engine lite.

Now car is back to square one....DOES NOT RUN!

If anyone can give me any clue as to what is doing all this....I sure need the help. Thank you!

Hi

Try and do a self diagnostic on the car. Under the dash there should be a pair of black cables with clips. With the ignition off, plug these two in to each other.

Turn only the ignition on.

Check the CEL light and note the flashes. If the light flashes steadily then all should be good. If however you see the flashes changing pace then refer to a trouble code guide such as http://www.troublecodes.net/Subaru/ (1988 and later models with Multi-Point Fuel Injection (including Legacy))

A short flash represents a 1 and a long flash represents a 10. So for example 2 long flashes and 5 short flashes would equivocate to 25. Compare the numbers to the code list.

A word of advise though, if you are getting error codes, let them cycle a few time before trying to record the numbers. It can be a bit tricky when there are multiple codes.

It may not be an ECU problem but rather a sensor. Sounds to me like either a coolant temp sensor or Mass Airflow Meter/Sensor.

Hope this helps!

^ uhmm.. the green mode connector plugs are for testing.. which this could be the reason.. however his year legacy you don't need to connect that to read the codes.

For putting the car into test mode as described by the clicking of the relays yes.

I'm sure the black connectors would generate codes? Works 100% like that on my 97 legacy

For putting the car into test mode as described by the clicking of the relays yes.

I'm sure the black connectors would generate codes? Works 100% like that on my 97 legacy

I have a 97 Legacy Outback and I still can't figure out what black connectors you are talking about.. only thing I can guess right now is the ABS connector but that's not what he's looking for.

Yes definitely check if the green connectors somehow got connected. They should not be plugged into each other for normal driving! They have tempted many a Subaru owner to say 'self, those green connectors look like they should be plugged in, they must have come unplugged somehow, so I will simply plug them back in.' And then all kinds of weirdness starts.

Yes definitely check if the green connectors somehow got connected. They should not be plugged into each other for normal driving! They have tempted many a Subaru owner to say 'self, those green connectors look like they should be plugged in, they must have come unplugged somehow, so I will simply plug them back in.' And then all kinds of weirdness starts.

I found those connectors on my car and thought the same thing, hey they should be connected. Then I said it ain't broke don't "fix it" and left them alone. Then read on forums what they were for.