Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a strong resistance when turning out and into parking spots. I had my wife turn the wheel while I watched the pump. The pulley would intermittently stop for a split second. Figured that a bearing was failing in it. I have no loss of fluid from what I can tell and smell since it uses ATF.

Hhhmmm - well the one I have seen where it was the supply hose was causing the steering the "judder" like a take-off with a bad clutch. (Apparently this is a common failure point and if you change the pump I would reccomend you replace that hose also). Power for 1/8 turn then no power - repeating in a cycle. If the pulley was stopping and starting again (didn't notice that with this one) then possibly the pump is bad.....

They are very expensive - and earlier pumps are not compatible. They aren't even availible from remanufacturer's that I have seen except as a rebuild-and-return service where they will rebuild your pump and send it back.

GD

May just have to pick one up from Advance. Will a reman unit come with the pulley on it?

The units for the 95-99 OBW do not have pulleys on them. You may have to call a store to see it the one for your car has the pulley or not

Or you could get one from a JY.

Rebuild an option? Only takes about an hour once it's removed.

Edit: Assuming you can even get a rebuild kit, it would take about an hour. I'm not finding a listing for one at any of the online dealer parts places.

Also, the pulleys are very easy to remove, so swapping it should not be an issue if you need to go that route.

Edited by Fairtax4me

If the bearing is bad there will be noticeable play in the shaft, and lots of noise.

Bratman has a good point though. How old is the belt? Have you tried adjusting it yet?

I thunk the belt is like a year and a half old. Will check for play when I get out.

I did notice that I had a squeak and I narrowed it down to the ps pump itself. It too went away when the car was up to temperature.

Yeah mine did that as well. I think the fluid is a little thick before it warms up and causes enough resistance for the belt to slip a little. I say throw a new belt on there for 20 bucks, and see if it fixes it.

or try to put a little more tension o n the belt, probably wearing down by now and needs some adjustment to proper tension. If a bearing is going, you would hear it. But you are not?

Sounds like belt slip with your description. Belts as they age, do somewhat stretch, and periodically need more tension on them

or try to put a little more tension o n the belt, probably wearing down by now and needs some adjustment to proper tension. If a bearing is going, you would hear it. But you are not?

Sounds like belt slip with your description. Belts as they age, do somewhat stretch, and periodically need more tension on them

Previous owner told me he had the belts replaced a few months before I bought it last November. The belts look to be in good shape and free from cracking. They do say Made in Mexico on them so they may not be of the best quality. I do understand that my ps pump takes ATF, not conventional power steering fluid. I dipped my ratchet handle down in the reservoir yesterday and the fluid did look to be transparent like ps/brake fluid and not red. After it gets warmed up, it does just fine and not getting a whine like you normally hear when one is going out.

Edited by Durania

I had my father in law turn the wheel before replacing the belt and I looked inside the reservoir for bubbles. All was well there. Replaced the belt this evening. I noticed that on the old belt, the tensioning bolt that runs through the one that allows the 12mm to bolt to the alternator was fully threaded. With the new one, it is now 1 1/4 inches lower from the top. I used a turkey baster to inspect the ATF fluid, besides being a tad dark, it was fine.

I didn't hear the squeak from the power steering pump but I will double check in the morning when I warm it up for the drive in.

actually new belts are more prone to stretch after the first few months.

they are kinda like blue jeans or new shoes, they stretch around to break in when you wear them the first few times, and new belts are the same, they stretch some to fit the pulleys etc.

then they won't stretch again til they wear down.

when you buy a new car, the first service checkup is for them to re-tighten the belts, etc, along with change fluids...And I do see that you have a newer belt on yours.

Edited by bheinen74

I have noticed that the "ATF" that Subaru uses from the factory in the PS systems does not look or smell like the conventional bright red ATF I'm used to.

Squealing can definitely be the belt - that's the usual cause actually. If you are having any symptoms of juddering or loss of power when turning the wheel - replace that supply hose. They get hard. Renob123's STi (bought brand new by him in '06) had the supply hose go hard and start sucking air around 90k miles.

GD

I wouldn't really call it a belt "squeal" but more along the lines of a chirp. I definitely did not hear it this morning when I started the car. Didn't feel any resistance either. True test will be this evening when I get off work where I park on a slight incline with the motor higher than the rest of the car.