Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 OBW, climate control unit

Good thinking . . . that little bit of extra insurance! :burnout:

Also, the replacement e-clip is standard SAE size. Someone mentioned using a metric e-clip, however, two hardware stores I shopped at, were unaware of metric size e-clips.

Huh, I used a metric one because I assumed it would be metric, and yes, such things exist. They're close enough in size, and it doesn't need very accurate sized e-clip it doesn't matter. Glad it worked for you in the end!

Huh, I used a metric one because I assumed it would be metric, and yes, such things exist. They're close enough in size, and it doesn't need very accurate sized e-clip it doesn't matter. Glad it worked for you in the end!

I will find out how well an SAE type e-clip works. It seemed a tad loose, and came apart once after the e-clip was installed. However, I may not have had the e-clip fully clamped down in place. I reinstalled, clamped it down hard with needle nose pliers, then added a few drops of glue for a better hold. Time will tell if that e-clip stays in place. I got my fingers crossed!

I will find out how well an SAE type e-clip works. It seemed a tad loose, and came apart once after the e-clip was installed. However, I may not have had the e-clip fully clamped down in place. I reinstalled, clamped it down hard with needle nose pliers, then added a few drops of glue for a better hold. Time will tell if that e-clip stays in place. I got my fingers crossed!

Yea, when the e-clip falls out while driving, it makes it impossible to turn the heat on. Because turning on the heat means pushing the cable. This will always happen when it's freezing cold out. And you're not at home.

Fortunately, it's easy to take out your leatherman, pull the screws out, and make the heat go on. haha.

Yea, when the e-clip falls out while driving, it makes it impossible to turn the heat on. Because turning on the heat means pushing the cable.

i left the e-clip off on the bottom last year, and i have experienced no problems. heat works great. i worry that it is on when it is not supposed to be, but a few minutes of AC always cools off the vents and then i'm not worried any more.

yes, that is true for the top end of the cable. the bottom is the different.

Right, in that case you can't select cold unless you reach under the dash.

I won't take it off from the bottom just on principle that I hate doing any work under the dash.

• 4 years later...