Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bearing ID Help

Hi all,

I have a 91 Loyale that I decide to get back up and running. It has been sitting for a couple of years because the right rear wheel hub loosened up on me one day. It took a few turns to tighten it back up at the time so I assumed the bearing had went. It seems ok now that I have it apart but I digress.

Anyway, I have it torn down and think that I have the one piece bearing assembly(now mutli-piece;)). Was this indeed a one piece unit? If so can I reassemble it or should I replace it?

Thanks!

Outer Bearing

photobucket-2473-1319310313661.jpg

Inner Bearing and shaft

photobucket-2073-1319310428100.jpg

Race is one piece from what I can tell

photobucket-812-1319310469481.jpg

They are relatively cheap insurance to replace them and I believe you should do so if only for reliability and peace of mind,if it has sat for some time also look at the cooling system,hoses etc and the waterpump seals may have dried up as well.

You mean outer?

Unless I'm mistaken the inner one is pictured....

Yes, thats what I meant :-p

The top pic is the outer bearing, the middle pic is the inner bearing on the shaft.

Good advice Coxy. I'm not sure what I need to buy is my problem. One piece or individual bearings?

Ok, thought you had placed the bearing on the shaft.

So this is the one piece unit then?

thanks for the link. i'm going to order me one up right now.

You buy the whole bearing assembly, $50-$60 ballpark if I remember.

Replacing the inner race is a PITA.

Edit:

Just found one on rockauto for $30-ish....

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=219288

Edit Edit:

I meant outer race!! :clap:

The outer race for both bearings is one piece, it slides into the control arm. Then both bearings go in there homes and everything is held in place by the axle/nut, and the externally threaded nut on the inner side of the bearing carrier.

I can see it is still installed on your control arm too. You will have to remove that nut before the outer race will come out!

I removed the inner nut so I could get the stub axle out the back side. Is that what you are saying needs to be removed for the race to come out? I should be able to just use a punch to get that race out correct?

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

The outer race for both bearings is one piece, it slides into the control arm. Then both bearings go in there homes and everything is held in place by the axle/nut, and the externally threaded nut on the inner side of the bearing carrier.I can see it is still installed on your control arm too. You will have to remove that nut before the outer race will come out!

Been a while since I've done rear bearings, but I think ya, that nut has to be removed to pull the race. It will come out with a punch, but there's not a very good spot that's flat enough to use your punch. I think I used either a large socket or even a piece of squarestock to drive the old one out. I built a puller tool to install the new one. It was a pain.......