Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Cats OR EJ22 Swap????

Well, I've been trolling around trying to get "pre-owned" catalytic converters for Murphy, the $500 87 Turbo Wagon. The back one is empty (had the infamous cat marble blocking the exhaust) and the front one is starting to block too. If I get new cats, the pair w/ pipe here in CA will cost about $800 if I install them. The registration is due at the end of the month, and I was hoping to find a solution before time ran out.

Time is almost out.

I've been looking for donor cars, but these old EA82T's are so rare here...

And then I had a thought!

I could do the EA to EJ swap for probably less than the cost of the converters! Legacys are much more common around here, and if I can find a donor car, I'd be able to do this swap for the same price or less than the cost of the cats!

Murph is still in very good condition, and I would hate to scrap her.

The car is old enough that they just put a sniffer in the pipe for emissions and a walk around noise check, right?

Seems like it should be easy enough for a reputable exhaust shop to just put a generic in line cat in to pass emissions.

Even if you drop an EJ in, you'd still have cat issues and need to pass emissions... Plus (even though I haven't done it yet, I still understand the depth) it's not like you just drop the EJ in and go.

NOT to discourage you, but if money is the issue, you won't be saving yourself any by doing the EJ swap.

I guess what I was getting at is if you're simply trying to install a cat to pass DEQ, a shop might be able to scab something on, generic and non proprietary, just to get you by.

I know on an alltrac I was working on with a friend, he had flanges welded to the exhaust, and could swap in a cat to go pass DEQ, then swapped back to a straight pipe. Cost him all of $200 at a shop.