Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turbo into non turbo EA82?

easy if you have a donor car. hard if you need to find a harness, a crossmember, and other turbo related bits. hardest if going from carb. hardest for 87 unless all your (harness, ecu, manifild) parts are from 87.

for the same labor and expense, you can go with any legacy or impreza 2.2 na and still have 25 mpre hp than an ea82t, without all the associated troubles with ea82t.

it is the easiast to start with an already ea82t cat to begin with if you are a fan of ea82t

easy if you have a donor car. hard if you need to find a harness, a crossmember, and other turbo related bits. hardest if going from carb. hardest for 87 unless all your (harness, ecu, manifild) parts are from 87.

for the same labor and expense, you can go with any legacy or impreza 2.2 na and still have 25 mpre hp than an ea82t, without all the associated troubles with ea82t.

it is the easiast to start with an already ea82t cat to begin with if you are a fan of ea82t

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=126592

answered it hahaha. damn i would love to do the ej22 but at that point i would just get a new car. seems too hard for me

This stuff can be done, and it would be interesting to do, but it is only worth it if you have donor cars laying around, plenty of experience, and then only for the sake of novelty.

Realistically a weber carb on your carb manifols with an spfi longblock(higher compression), open exhaust, advanced timing would give a goo kick in the pants.

IF you blow a head gasket, that is a good chance to go with an spfi block, even with your same heads. the spfi engine block is a direct swap in with no mods, and the carb manifold fits the same. you may have to block off egr ports.

this is ultimately the easiest to do for the amount of parts, labor, and expertise required.

This stuff can be done, and it would be interesting to do, but it is only worth it if you have donor cars laying around, plenty of experience, and then only for the sake of novelty.

Realistically a weber carb on your carb manifols with an spfi longblock(higher compression), open exhaust, advanced timing would give a goo kick in the pants.

IF you blow a head gasket, that is a good chance to go with an spfi block, even with your same heads. the spfi engine block is a direct swap in with no mods, and the carb manifold fits the same. you may have to block off egr ports.

this is ultimately the easiest to do for the amount of parts, labor, and expertise required.

And yet i still dont know what you are really talking about :(

And yet i still dont know what you are really talking about :(

Fox is saying you can make some power changes with stuff thats more easy to get your hands on. EA82T's are notorious for problems anyway. You can easily make just as much horsepower with a weber carb upgrade to your car.

I did not know that spfi blocks have more compression... I will look into that when I rebuild my wagon.

Fox is saying you can make some power changes with stuff thats more easy to get your hands on. EA82T's are notorious for problems anyway. You can easily make just as much horsepower with a weber carb upgrade to your car.

I did not know that spfi longblocks have more compression... I will look into that when I rebuild my wagon.

Numbers? about how much more hp?

be happy with the car now the way it is at least for now, or you will never be happy with anything.

the car may seem disappointing compared to other cars, but there is a lot there to amaze you yet.

it's a different cup of tea with these cars:burnout:

If you consider a Weber to be expensive (it's about $250, give or take, to install a used one and all the correct plumbing), then asking about turbo swaps or engine swaps (which rarely come in under $1000) is pretty silly isn't it?

GD

Where can you get a used one for 250?!