Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey all.

I am looking for an engine for my 1999 Outback. It is my understanding that it is a 2.5 liter engine and it is a manual transmission.

I live in Missoula Montana. I have talked to a guy named Kaylin that is willing to do the install once I get the engine. Anyone out there know of an engine?

I have also talked with a guy over in Idaho that has an engine but does not know the mileage. He was able to tell me about the compression. He said its 180-200? I don't speak this language. Can anyone explain what that means?

Looking to get driving this car again real soon. If anyone would point me in a direction I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks for your tiem,

Jen Biehl

Welcome to the USMB Jen.

I moved your post to the new gen forum where it should get some more traffic.

The compression check numbers the guy in Idaho gave you are an indicator of the engine's health. 180 - 200 psi sounds normal. Does the guy know what year and model Subaru the engine is out of?

There are some differences with the electrical connectors and sensors, so you want to try and get an engine that matches the connectors in your car.

The 2.5 engines go for about $1k used. That's pretty typical and average. I have a machine shop near me that does a completely rebuilt 2.5 for $1295 with core exchange. They do a lot of them as there is a large market for them here. I don't know if they are acustomed to shipping them but it's worth a call:

http://stevesprecisionmachine.com/

GD