Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Things that make you go "D'OH!"

So I did A LOT of work on my EA82. Full head gasket job, re sealed the engine, new NGK plugs... I won't bore you.

However I failed to change out the cap and rotor. To say the least, I have NEVER seen a cap and rotor so burned through in my life. Found a new cap in the trap door in the back, and bought a BW rotor; Feels like a whole new car.

Then, I decided to check my oil. There has not been a single drip from the bottom of the engine since I did all the work. 130psi on all 4 cylinders, no indications of blowby. However I was nearly a quart low. TOD did seem a little louder the past couple of mornings.

Lots of oil in the cracked, dry, crusty breather and pcv tubes. TONS of oil residue in the throttle body. I figure that's my oil loss and definitely not helping the power. So a new PCV, 6' of 5/8" breather line, and 11 hose clamps, I think I may have handled that situation.

This dang car is going to nickel and dime me to death!

When I first got my GL and started digging in to it to get it just right for me, I thought the same thing... I was making like three trips to napa a day.

Then I got it all back together... and nothing has really gone wrong with it in two years. Once you get it going they're so damn reliable!

There it is. Actually you have unknowningly entered into a weird sort of codependency where every time you spend a little money on it and it runs a little bit better you love it even more. Think of it as a very small car payment. I paid $500 for my hatch and have put probably several thousand into it over the past 6 years $20-$100 at a time.

Before long you will have replaced enough parts and gone through all the systems enough that you will recognize any aberrant sound.

My '81 hatch is now 30 years old (286K), I have put untold hours into rehabing it, and I am proud of it for running so well. I am not proud of myself for making it run so well, I am proud of it. Therein lies the sickness, welcome to the club, you are recently infected. Cheers :drunk:

You are probably too young to remember the "inexpensive and built to stay that way" ads (no offense), but if you run the numbers that slogan is still true.

There it is. Actually you have unknowningly entered into a weird sort of codependency where every time you spend a little money on it and it runs a little bit better you love it even more. Think of it as a very small car payment. I paid $500 for my hatch and have put probably several thousand into it over the past 6 years $20-$100 at a time.

Before long you will have replaced enough parts and gone through all the systems enough that you will recognize any aberrant sound.

My '81 hatch is now 30 years old (286K), I have put untold hours into rehabing it, and I am proud of it for running so well. I am not proud of myself for making it run so well, I am proud of it. Therein lies the sickness, welcome to the club, you are recently infected. Cheers :drunk:

You are probably too young to remember the "inexpensive and built to stay that way" ads (no offense), but if you run the numbers that slogan is still true.

My 69 VW bug was the same way. I bought it for $800 and had almost $5,000 into it at the end of the road.

Eventually I had replaced everything that could be replaced and it was effectively a new car... in some twisted way. I went overboard though; no bills and 2 jobs make for a lot of extra money to play with.

I really can't complain about this car. All told, I have $400 or so into it (counting the $80 I had into the bike I traded for it.)

Scenario: I live in a downtown apartment with street parking. Decide it's a good idea to do head gaskets and other big things now as opposed to when it's snowing. Borrowed a friend's (well, two friends over two 'weekends').

Did the headgaskets, timing belts, clutch, axles, did a transmission swap. Fuel pump. Patched and swapped hoses/lines/etc, ************...I still got to check the coolant mix so I don't freeze the block this winter because!...D'Oh!

After I did the headgaskets, the motor developed a funny water leak that sometimes would leak like a sieve and I'd stop every few miles to top off. Other times I could get to work and home again and only loose a cup. After finding a water pump gasket I started taking off the accesories on top of the motor so I could reach the water pump and "Hey!", I said to myself, "why is this pipe loose?". I had fogotten to tighten down the pipe that runs between the 'top' of the water pump and the lower radiator hose. Tightened it down and no more leaks!

And the other (I'm still laughing at this one) D'oh moment...after said transmission swap and clutch and axles I was on my way home from the second friend's driveway and a three week weekend when, everything running more perfectly than I could have dreamed of when...I ran out of gas! Felt like a real dumb*ss, but it happens so I laughed at myself and called a tow truck. Now I'm fighting water in the line and/or a faulty injector, not sure which just yet.

Was all excited to start my SVX yesterday.

Put 2.5gal fresh gas in it and dropped in a battery.

Doubled checked everything, good to go.

Turned the key.....................whir....whir...whir :confused:

Sat there and thought about it for a sec and went doh.

Forgot to connect the flexplate to the torque converter :rolleyes:

Now the fuel pump is seized and I have to pull that :-\