Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Issue Finding Part - Release Bearing Clip

I am having my 1996 Subaru Legacy Brighton Ed. getting repaired for a failing clutch (Yet again, second time in a year :banghead:). Turns out the previous mechanic had missed the fact that my release bearing was messed up and needed the whole mechanism replaced.

My mechanic has told me that he is currently looking for a "Release Bearing Clip" and cannot find one anywhere. We had already ordered one from Florida and it ended up not fitting. I'm wondering if anyone can give me any advice on this as I am not too car savvy.

I'm not sure if my mechanic has a very limited list of suppliers or if this really is a hard part to find. Any advice would be super helpful and greatly appreciated.

As far as I know, the release bearing clips are a "dealer only" item, meaning you can only get them from an actual Subaru dealer. But the clips are a common item and I would think most any dealer would havethem on the shelf.

Correct.

ALWAYS replace them both when you're in there.

I believe they are actually called Throwout Bearing clips - but not sure.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I went to call up some of my local Subaru dealers and the first place I talked to had them in-stock for $2.43/each :clap:.

I left my mechanic a message letting him know I had found the part that I believed we needed. I'm about to hand-deliver the thing after work.

I'm really still baffled as to why he would not be able to find this and cause over two weeks delay.

I'm really still baffled as to why he would not be able to find this and cause over two weeks delay.

Um - I can only imagine that he's not used to getting parts from the dealerships and/or isn't used to working on Subaru's. Every Subaru non-turbo manual transmission uses those clips and has since the early 70's. Every dealership in the country probably has dozens of them because they are replaced for every clutch job.

Sounds like you need a new mechanic.

GD