Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Labor to change clutch/tranny?

Well - for most shops it's the same amount of labor (of maybe an hour extra) to change a tranny while doing a clutch job. I would figure $100 over the normal clutch price depending on the hourly rate of the shop you choose of course..... assuming you supply a used tranny for them to install.

For us Subaru guys - most of us pull the engine for a clutch job as it's easier.... though most shops do not. So actually a tranny change is more expensive in my shop than a clutch job because I don't usually pull the tranny to do one and pulling the tranny is more work than pulling the engine.

GD

Why would you need to replace the trans. It's not a chrysler minivan.

chances are, the clutch is failed due to improper cable adjustment. And if you have a hard time going into gear from a stop, that is why.

a cable adjustment may fix it if the pressure plate has not fatigued yet.

a new clutch set will be about 175 and it takes about 2 hours of labor to remove the negine, replace the clutch, and reinstall. You will have the cost of coolant added to that.

removing the trans requires disconnecting axles, which requires partially breaking down the front suspension, nevertheless spilling all that stinky gear oil, and laying on your back in it.

Why would you need to replace the trans. It's not a chrysler minivan.

chances are, the clutch is failed due to improper cable adjustment. And if you have a hard time going into gear from a stop, that is why.

a cable adjustment may fix it if the pressure plate has not fatigued yet.

a new clutch set will be about 175 and it takes about 2 hours of labor to remove the negine, replace the clutch, and reinstall. You will have the cost of coolant added to that.

removing the trans requires disconnecting axles, which requires partially breaking down the front suspension, nevertheless spilling all that stinky gear oil, and laying on your back in it.

Yeah, this is the first loyale I've ever had clutch or tranny problems with. It only has 175,000km. Thought I would get years out of it before anything major.

The clutch definitely was out of adjustment but after adjustment it still slips. I can release the clutch in gear with the parking brake on and it takes a second or two for the engine to slow down enough to run poorly then I can take off the brake and it will drive away without stalling. Clutch is shot, but I'd still drive it with confidence for a while if the tranny wasn't going too.

The tranny makes a loud clack-clack very similar to cv joints when under acceleration, less noticable in 4wd. Has no relationship to turning. Just had the axles replaced and figure this noise was hidden in the cv noise. A non subaru shop diagnosed it as final drive of the tranny. I can feel some play if I reach down and wiggle the axle where it comes out of the transaxle.

I would really love to find it was something other than the tranny so I could afford to fix it. I love these cars and the body/interior on this one is still in great shape except for one fender that was replaced early in it's life and the drain holes in the replacement were plugged causing it to rust.

I posted in another thread that I saw this link suggesting the exhaust flex joint could contribute to a similar noise. It' listed under "trouble spots". http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/1990-to-1994-subaru-loyale-2.htm

I recommend pulling the engine for a clutch, and pulling the engine to remove the trans. you can remove the trans from under the hood with a crane, and you can get away with not having to bust down more than one ball joint to get the axles on, with all that wiggle room with the motor out. Take the time do do fun stuff on the engine while it's out. It will sit in a 5 gal bucket!

you could go with a dual range swap, if you are shopping for a trans, as it will fit with all your existing drivetrain as long as you get the shifter with it.

As far as labor goes, you would want to find a shop that is proficient with subarus to give you an accurate quote, and have a competent technician.

That or put up some beers and pizzas for some local enthusiasts to help you do yourself

The axles have a wee bit of play when they are on the transmission wheel stubs. Not much but it's there, has something to do with something (I could find the exact wording with a search), but that in itself is not the end of the transmission. Do you mean the actual stubs themselves are moving in a direction other than 'spin'? That would be bad...

That should be ok then (or at least not a trannie problem). There is a little play built in that has to do something with the movement of the axles as the suspension is working. Someone else can explain it better, perhaps? If you have a lot of play you should probably change the axles, but just a little snug wiggling doesn't require the huge effort of changing the trannie.

Clutch is way easier to do with just sliding the motor forward, as others have said, if you/the shop is willing to do that instead. Waaaayyyyy easier.

I just gave the passenger side axle another wiggle at the transmission end, and I can feel a bit of up down movement in addition to the rotational slack. Both axles are new.

I was quoted $1400 + tax for a new clutch and the labor to replace the clutch and tranny, I supply the used tranny. So about $2000 total with a tranny with unknown history, or up to $3000 if I have my tranny rebuilt depending on the parts it needs.

Just saw a 1993 loyale in very nice shape with 175,000k for $2250. Tempting.

Might be cheaper to offer to fly someone up to BC for a weekend, put a blanket on the couch, and offer some pizza/beer/music/weekend in the mountains....if it's not your daily driver this might be a good time to take stuff apart and learn about it.

Or just replace the whole car, imho there are very (very) few cars worth keeping if a single repair bill exceeds the cost you paid for the car/its market value.

You would be best to sell it to someone that would undertake the work itself, and may have parts and tools to make a project of it. Some folk will swap out their whole car into a cleaner body if one comes along.

IF your car drives it can be worth about $1000 on average if it is in clean condition.