Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Now that I have electrical power again, I'm thinking of a CD player. My wife has one in her Scion that plays MP3 CDs, which would be a lot of music on one disc.

I just talked to someone at the wrecking yard, and they say they've paid thousands of dollars for software that will tell me exactly what will fit in the '98 Legacy Wagon, and that there are only two years worth of radios that work, and I'm out of luck.

So what will really work? As I said, I want MP3 CD. The aftermarket stuff is really expensive or really cheap looking. I'm thinking my best bet is Subaru original equipment, from sometime in the last few years.

Scomber Sanctus.

Any radio will work, you just have to merge the wires.

Do search for radio wiring.

Up til 05 all Subaru's used the same 14 pin connector. In 06 they changed to a 6 pin IIRC.

Subaru radios are obviously plug and play. In 06 they came out with the aux input. This requires a little more work to get the aux to work on a car that did not have it to start. Can be done tho.

Subaru radios obviously fit the dash, while most others are of the single din layout, which leaves a space under the radio. But this too can be filled with aux pockets.

Do search on any forum in audio section. NASIOC or LegacyGT.com.

My 07 has the input, while my 97 I just bought a 6cd changer from a seller on NASIOC for $50 shipped. (You can do this all day). I had to buy the side mounting plates from the dealer. $16.

Just purchased the fm transmitter to use my mp3 player.

O.

Edited by ocei77

In 06 they came out with the aux input.
just a minor quibble - but my stock 1990 Legacy radio had the aux input. It is my understanding that it was there for several years, then deleted for a few years, than put back in again.

irregardless, since i have no experience with the "newer" versions, I cant say whether or not the stock radio's will do MP3 CD's or not.

There are, however, many aftermarket units that will, as well as some having USB and/or memory card ports, too. I went with an aftermarket AM/FM/CD with MP3 capability unit that also has the USB port - I can load up a thumb drive with tunes, plug that thumb drive into the stereo and pound out some great tunes for hours. ;)

(and the thumb drive takes up a lot less space than CD's do.)

The biggest issue when going aftermarket is getting the wiring matched up, but with a little digging, there are plenty of discussions about the subject.

I just put a Sony AM/FM CD with USB port and Aux input in my 1995 Legacy Wagon from Crutchfield. I wanted to be able to use my Zune - yes a Zune not an IPOD while in the car.

Go to the web site - http://www.crutchfield.com , input year, make and model of your car and they come back with what units fit your car.

They also include in the price wiring harness, face plates and mounting brackets but thier instructions told me to remove the existing brackets and reuse them for my car.

Installation was simple took less than an hour and now I have 30 GB of music in my car with no commercials

I just put a Sony AM/FM CD with USB port and Aux input in my 1995 Legacy Wagon from Crutchfield. I wanted to be able to use my Zune - yes a Zune not an IPOD while in the car.

Go to the web site - www.crutchfield.com , input year, make and model of your car and they come back with what units fit your car.

They also include in the price wiring harness, face plates and mounting brackets but thier instructions told me to remove the existing brackets and reuse them for my car.

Installation was simple took less than an hour and now I have 30 GB of music in my car with no commercials

and no monthly subscription fees either!! :clap: