Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brake bleed procedure for ABS-2E ('94 Legacy)?

I've got a '94 Legacy with the Nippon ABS-2E system. What's the right brake bleeding order for this setup?

In an Endwrench article, it says:

Air Bleeding Overview

The air bleeding procedure for the ABS-2E system is similar to that used for other systems, with a few added steps

Then bleed the secondary chamber of the master cylinder first and the primary

chamber second. To accomplish this, work in the following order:

1. Right front brake 3. Left rear brake

2. Left front brake 4. Right rear brake

I think that makes sense since this ABS has a combined channel for the the rear brakes. But it's a different order than I've seen in other Subaru publications, which is:

1. Right front brake 2. Left rear brake

3. Left front brake 4. Right rear brake

Which should I use? Maybe I"m overthinking it and it doesn't really matter. There is no air in the system that I can tell; I just want to change out the fluid.

I just like the sequence control because I think it helps get out old fluid that might be in the unit.

No!!!!!!!!!!! Ok it didn't work out perfectly after all. It wasn't related to the bleeding, but I spotted a brake fluid leak coming from above the tank in the rear. I had this happen on my '96 so I"m replacing both rear line sections from underneath the seat to the brake hoses.

This vehicle has been down for over a year. I finally got back at it and finished up the timing belt, struts and springs, and a bunch of other stuff. Then the battery went bad. Now I was just putting it down off the jack stands and I swear it just started leaking right then!!!!!!!!! argh..... oh well hopefully it won't take too long.