Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5-lug swap done, next 2.2 or 2.5?...

CHIM

Well, I finally got back to work on my RX and got the 5-lug conversion finished!

Next thing is gonna be droppin the 2.2T and legacy 5-speed into it. I have the oportunity to pick up a 2.5 DOHC from a 97 legacy for a smokin deal. so here goes some questions.

Is the 2.5 swap going to be any more difficult than the 2.2 swap? Im assuming im gonna need the harness and the computer from the 97 allso. Is the 2.5 the same bell housing as the 2.2? (will my legacy tranny bolt up?) will the 2.2 clutch and flywheel work on the 2.5?

Also i wanna make that 2.5 a turbo... will the 2.2 cross pipe and turbo fit and or be sufficiant enough on the 2.5? basically whats involved in turbo charging a 2.5?

Sorry for all the questions but i just havn't had my hands on much EJ stuff.

Pics of my progress thus far.

2011-10-21_17-07-36_173.jpg?t=1319601575

2011-10-21_21-34-15_560.jpg?t=1319601574

2011-10-25_16-22-11_863-1.jpg?t=1319681783

2011-10-25_16-27-56_989-1.jpg?t=1319681783

That lifted EA81 is badass. :brow:

Or does it have an EA71?... since it has the '80-'81 front.

The car is accully an 82, the front end is off of my old 81 but i loved that front end so i swapped it onto my lifted when i sent my 81 to the crusher... i miss that car :(

yes any EJ engine will bolt up to any EJ trans.

wiring is identical for this year EJ22/EJ25's - you can remove an EJ25 and drop in an EJ22 and it's a plug and play swap.

the EJ25 has a propensity to blow headgaskets, very common. you can google it and find gobs of information about it. that suggests a few things to me:

1. be wary of a cheap DOHC for sale. even when repaired they can have bottom end failures and cam seizures, probably from previous overheating since EJ22's don't typically have those same failures. if you get a known good one, it's a really good idea to check to see if the HG's were ever replaced or go ahead and preemptively replace them before installing the engine. might be good to just knock out the headgaskets, valve covers, spark plug boots before cramming it between the frame rails anyway. there's an RX with an EJ25 in it on subaruxt.com.

2. the EJ22 might be a better fit for you. though turbo's are not my specialty so you should defer to others with more turbo specific experience and knowledge.

the EJ22 does hold up to low boost just fine. if you're the kind to start pushing things then turbo-ing a non-turbo block is not a good idea. REDDEVIL (REDEVIL?) a member here and another forum supercharged his non turbo EJ and has gone through a number of blocks. he has an extensive write up about it on another forum. you could find it by searching his user name here to see his experience with slapping a turbo on a non-turbo block.

The wiring harness between a Turbo Legacy, and a post OBDII Legacy are going to be different.

They are MOSTLY the same, but do have differences. If given the option, use the one that directly matches the motor going in the car.

Do not just slap a turbo on a NA 2.5 unless you have some ability to alter fuel/spark.

The only differences in the first generation Legacy NA and turbo are very minor.

The cam and crank sensors are swapped where they plug into the ECU and then you have to add in the boost control solenoid wiring, which is like 5 wires.

But is the 2.2 n/a considered tough enough to hold the added turbo. is there better head gaskets that can be obtained to hold it?

There's a guy in Portland by the name of reddevil that has numerous boosted EJ22Es, has blown many of them and has figured out how to keep them from blowing.

You mentioned an EJ22T so I figured thats what you were planning on putting in and was just giving you some advice on the harness for it. Not sure on turboing the EJ25 but it can be done I bet.

that is awesome !

i have 5 lug and hope to 5 lug swap my loyale.

RX Coupe looks Bad rump roast ! not my choice off rim though, EJ Swap sounds good to. i'd do it if i had the knowledge.

not my choice either, these are temporary till i can get my hands on some 17's.

Im looking to get as much as i can get out of any motor. anyone have an 05 sti motor sittin around they don't want :brow:

Ok, so ive come to a decidion, Im gonna get a 2.0 turbo for the RX. found a decent deal on a JDM, That should sefice just fine in the rex. little worried about the legacy tranny holding up tho as those 2.0 EJ's are a bit peppy.... why couldn't i just be happy droppin the 2.2 turbo in it... i just want more power! :-p