Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help! I'm not mechanical - I'm just a loyal Subaru driver!

I have a 1997 Legacy Outback. I just recently moved to Denver and it has gotten cold really fast and we had our first snow. On occasional cold days it would not start right away but now - with the snow it is especially stubborn. I took it in to the mechanic. He replaced the battery. But it still won't start up unless I press the brake pedal to the floor while I turn the key. Why would this effect the starting of the car? Is this an indiation of something else that is wrong? Any info or insight would be greatly appreciate.

Hello.

Is this an MT or an AT?

When you say it won't start, do you mean it won't crank at all? Or it will crank like whir whir whir but won't start?

If the brake pedal is going all the way to the floor, there might be air in the system or a leak in the master cylinder.

Sometimes if the brake booster is faulty and is leaking air into the intake manifold it could cause hard starting I would imagine, and might be easier starting if the vacuum leak goes away when the pedal is pressed really hard.

Edited by porcupine73
booster