Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82t cooling problem

I have a 86gl10 wagon and it recently started going through lots and lots of oil. Like a quart every week. Following this problem I have also been going through most of my coolant everytime I drive it. It is overheating. There is no puddle of oil in the driveway and from what I see im not leaving clouds of smoke. I dont know where it is going. I thought head gasket but I did a pressure test on the radiator and it held pressure fine. Also did compression test. About 120 without oil and 150 with oil. I also replaceed a bad thermostat yesterday and it did not help. Please help me!!!!

check to see that the water pump is leaking or not. Either by the weep hole(worn pump), or by the o-ring on the metal tube to the lower hose where it fits into the oil pump.

perhaps the oil is being consumed through the PCV valve and hoses.

Bad intake gaskets can burn off coolant, but that would show in the pressure test.

You may still have an air pocket in the system after installing the thermostat.

Make sure you are using the recommended thermostat.

Sounds like the heads are cracked into the exhaust ports. Very typical on an EA82T, especially one of the earlier ones that have the first generation turbo heads on it.

Even though its not leaving spots on your driveway when its parked doesn't mean its not leaking it while you drive, like onto the exhaust where it might get burned off.

No. There is a coolant passage that runs through the bottom of the head and down the center of the exhaust port. Its the ridge that separates each cylinder's exhaust port until it meets the exhaust header.

If that's the case, you will need to either have the crack welded up by a machinist or source up another head or heads depending if one or both are cracked.

The cracks between the valves however is usually all right unless they've opened up pretty wide .

Oh okay. Well the car is only overheating when I climb hills. Everytime I stop to add some water it is bubbling in the overflow tank. What could that mean? This car has been overheated a few times before. I heard these things will almost always blow head gaskets or crack a head when you overheat them. Im getting sick of so I think im just going to tear the heads off and take a look. Oh I also notice the coolant having a kind of burnt or exhaust smell. Its pretty strong.

Edited by 86gl10

Overheating is VERY bad for the EA82T. You should likely start looking for a new engine or plan on rebuilding yours. Either that or just get a nice Legacy and forget about that POS. They are a huge headache unless you drop some serious money on doing a proper rebuild with all the trimmings. Cost is likely more than the car is worth.

GD

IMO, people buy these cars and right away get into them way over their heads.

The appeal is they can be bought so cheap. But the associated repairs cost more than any youngster typically can afford, for what the car is, a pos.

I don't think this is any way shape or forma good car for someone just learning cars.

The engine is crap, and once overheated, even more crap. You are better off to sell it for scrap or sell the good parts, and move on up into a first gen legacy or first gen impreza.

Before long, you will have 1000 dollars in newparts on this, and it will still not be reliable. Do not spend a dime more on it, sell parts off it, call it a wash and buy something trouble free like the legacy or impreza, mentioned by others here too.

Edited by bheinen74

Im getting sick of so I think im just going to tear the heads off and take a look. Oh I also notice the coolant having a kind of burnt or exhaust smell. Its pretty strong.

Check for bubbles in the radiator when the cap is off and the engine is running.

You may have a blown HG where exhaust is getting in the coolalnt, and pushing it our the overflow.

If you are confident in taking the heads off to have a look, you can fix it yourself for within $150 in parts.

You could get by with a can of sodium silicate block sealer if yu follow the instructions on the bottle.