Ultimate Subaru Message Board

it/s been over 2 years since new antifreeze was changed in my 2000 legacy, i was told by 2 different places ,that antifreeze should be changed every 2 years, [ subaru plant , radiator shop/ , what would be the best cheapest way ? , drain fill, or flush with kit and hook up garden hose , which there is no hook up for hose at heater hose, thanks,it tests good at -30 below , all green, but it has been aleast 25,000mi since changed, car has 125,000mi 2.5 a/t , legacy L wagon

Edited by 86subaru

i would follow the owners manual unless there's a compelling reason not to do what Subaru says. which in this case i think means just draining and refilling.

that engine requires Subaru's coolant conditioner, i'd definitely make sure it's got that in there.

it's never a bad idea to change fluids early....whether it's necessary or not or what value you get, if any, is highly subjective and nearly impossible to quantify.

25,000 miles sounds premature, though time is important too.

well i bought the car at 100,000 mi , new timing belt etc.. i only put 12.000 mi a year on it, ,it's been over 2 years, thanks,

It is actually a pretty easy job. I put the car on blocks and drain it, add distilled water and allow engine to run briefly, drain the water and repeat, then allow it to drain. Add the coolant & Subaru conditioner bottle and remember the 50/50 coolant won't work because of the water retained in the system. Also I remove and wash the overflow tank and add fresh coolant to it. Every two years is good rule of thumb I think; my car is 12 years old and the heater will still bake everyone out of the car. You might consider new radiator cap as well- cheap insurance if ya ask me:)

Edited by john40iowa