Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea 81 slop

Mostly all old Subarus develop what i think you are describing as the TOD (Tick of death) its just noisy lifters, ive heard that when the mickey mouse oil pump gasket goes air gets in the system and makes it noisy and such if i am correct, if the tick turns to a very loud knock then you have something to worry about. hope this helps

-Matt

'81 Brat with an EA81 (if it's a GL) or EA71 (DL) will not have hydraulic lifters and cannot, therefore, have the TOD.

Do a valve adjustment. It's reqiured every 15k miles on your engine. Also check your oil pressure and replace the pump if it's looking chewed up inside.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

In addition to regular maintenance items such as valve lash adjustment, you can do a little Seafoam in the crankcase oil.

I don't do this regularly, (In fact the previous time I did it was about 60,000 miles ago), but I did it recently because my engine ('81 ea81) was getting a little noisy.

I put about a 1/3 of a can of Seafoam in the crankcase with the oil that was already in there, drove for about 150 miles over several trips, and changed my oil. The engine is very noticeably quieter now. I think the oil passages eventually build up enough sludge resistance to make a weaker oil circuit (even with good pressure) and the metal parts get noiser as a result.

Agreed - don't mess with the head bolts.

Do yourself a favor and pickup new cork valve cover gaskets, bolt grommets, and an oil pan gasket from your local Subaru dealership. Give them a few days as they will have to order them. The cork quality is much higher than aftermarket. Coat the cork in a thin layer of RTV and let it dry prior to installation.

GD