Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ECM airflow?

Uberoo

How much airflow does a early EJ22 ECM need to keep cool?I am planning on mounting the ECM for my 90 EJ22 where the spare tire used to sit in an ammo box.This is on a vehicle that sees ALOT of mud so the ammo box will be sealed up about as good as I can get it.Will I kill the ECU if there isn't alot of airflow to it? scoobyclimbs mounted his ECM for his early EJ22 in an ammo box right there but he said he doesn't see alot of mud so he drilled a couple holes in the box.

On mine it would see alot of mud/water and I am a bit of a slow learner,I know my subaru does NOT equal a submarine but when I drive though a hole made by trucks on 44" tires...I get wet...even with 8" of lift and 31's.especially if I get stuck in said hole...

They don't need much. On the '95+ EJ's they mount the ECU in a hole in the floor on the passenger side and cover them with carpet. AFAIK - there isn't any airflow to them at all in that configuration. And not much when mounted in the dash. Hell my SPFI powered EA81 has the ECU in the glove box with no airflow other than what gets around the edges of the door.

Mounting it in the engine bay is feasible if you go with a water-tight arrangement but it's not ideal. Best to keep it in the cabin - I go for the glove-box because if water gets that high on the inside I'm not going to be trying to drive it :-p

GD

They don't need much. On the '95+ EJ's they mount the ECU in a hole in the floor on the passenger side and cover them with carpet. AFAIK - there isn't any airflow to them at all in that configuration. And not much when mounted in the dash. Hell my SPFI powered EA81 has the ECU in the glove box with no airflow other than what gets around the edges of the door.

Mounting it in the engine bay is feasible if you go with a water-tight arrangement but it's not ideal. Best to keep it in the cabin - I go for the glove-box because if water gets that high on the inside I'm not going to be trying to drive it :-p

GD

Quitter!;)....

haha next time I go off road I'm going to mount the ECM up higher myself.. learned the hard way last year with the '95 Legacy.. I guess muddy water came in around where the tube for the AC drain line goes out and.. well the ECU got soaked good.. I was on the trail with nipper and neo and I got out of the car and walked away with the car still running and that's when I heard it die...

long story short neo saved my rump roast had the exact same ecu in his car lol.. it would of been a painful way back since it was like 70 some miles from home.

I would rather bring the ECM into the car but a couple problems:I have an 80 hatch so space is at a premium under the dash,secondly every time I mess with the 30+ year old interior panels(especially with subarus) they get broken.My dash is actually in decent shape.

On my 84 wagon I mounted the ECM for the SPFI where the glove box would be.I ended up having to modify the ducting under the dash to get it to fit and I ended up with sub par ventilation. so if at all possible I would like to avoid those problems.So I was thinking ammo box with rubber grommets for wires to pass though with some expanding foam in the grommets as well..