Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Joe mechanic advise!!!!!

what's the condition/history of the carburetor? i would lean towards that but folks more familiar with them will hopefully chime in shortly.

does it do this every time, often, or it's just done it once or twice? trying to determine if the 15 minutes is a consistent symptom.

doubt it's the case here but it's not impossible for fuel pumps to tweak when heated up.

fuel filter - equally unlikely since i wouldn't expect it to be so predictable with the 15 minute thing.

Edited by grossgary

89 hatchback last year made 1800 4 speed when car is warm after 15 minute drive car wont start but WILL start with starting fluid? What am i up against with this problem?

If you're running 10% alcohol fuel, that's a factor. Your jets were calibrated for different gasoline then you can buy today. So, it's probably lean.

Doug

Bought this car this way, from second owner car is near mint condition, the carb was rebuilt new fuel filter, i did notice the rpm guage would jump a little at idle like the distributor was going but why will it start with starting fluid after a drive when warmed up? Now with this info does it make any sense? I was thinking weak fuel pump at first now i dont know

The tach thing is probably something going on. Can you see/smell fuel if you "pump" the throtle lever, before you add starting fluid?

Can you see a shot of fuel from the accelerator pump?

Once you pump it a few times, can you see fuel vapor comming out the top of the carb?

Doug