Ultimate Subaru Message Board

is your car comfortable to drive? need replacement seat suggestion.

hey everyone. so after driving the 2006 tribeca that we picked up for my wife, i've realized that i cannot stand the seats in my 98 outback. i have lower back problems as it is and i've now realized that my seats are not helping my cause.

i'm in the market for a new set of front seats and was interested if anyone is exceptionally happy with how theirs feel. there are a few subaru dismantlers in the area and at this point, im not opposed with dropping a bit of coin on a set if it can make the ride a bit more enjoyable.

thanks to anyone that can chime in on my unusual request.

someone else has a thread on here about seats and a bad back and legacy related, check that thread out.

if yours are cloth, go sit in some leather seats. given the reasoning you may want to try upgrading to newer leather seats too....though i'm not sure about compatability between later gen and older gen OBW's.

any 1995-1999 Legacy will be a direct swap, bolt in for you.

the second gen 2000-2004 H6 leather seats (and maybe H4's too, i just haven't been in one recently) are firm, you might want to sit in some of those and see how that treats you?

I agree that the standard OBW cloth seats are damn uncomfortable. Gotta believe my 99 OBW seats are same as your 98 OBW seats. They are just a hard cushion without springs.

I recently spotted a 2001 Leggie in a wrecking yard. Seats look great, and felt more comfortable. I wonder if those seats will plug and play?

Does anyone know if all Subaru buck seats are interchangeable throughout the years?

i've never been that impressed with the 95-99 era seats either but haven't spent a ton of time in OBW's of that gen.

buddy of mine just looked into swapping 03 Legacy seats into his 97 Legacy and said they were not a direct swap...but i didn't see it, he just looked into it like two weeks ago. i have a spare set of 2000-2004 leather seats i could measure the mounting points on.

I've driven lots of different cars during my time with the car rental company, and I've got to say that none of the recent Subaru seats are all that great. There are some that are better, some worse. Currently, the Nissan Sentra takes the prize for worst.

My all time favorite was in the 1997~2008 Ford Taurus. Very comfortable, could sit in them all day on the way to Vegas, and still feel like I've just gone a few blocks. Make sure theyre the electrically adjustable model, the non-power ones were difficult to tweak just right.

Just my 2 bucks

Those seats are about the worst things in the world for your lower back, I made the mistake of swapping them into my last 1992 legacy, I think they caused some of my back problems... I have sold that car, and have another 1992 legacy. This one however I replaced the torn up seats with 02 wrx seats, Made the biggest difference in the car out of all the things I have swapped into or out of it. They should be just about bolt in too, all I had to do was swap the seatbelt buckle, other than that they were bolt in. Do be careful though, as mentioned the newer seats have airbags in them. They do make you sit a bit higher as well, which I like a lot.

I agree that the standard OBW cloth seats are damn uncomfortable. Gotta believe my 99 OBW seats are same as your 98 OBW seats. They are just a hard cushion without springs.

I recently spotted a 2001 Leggie in a wrecking yard. Seats look great, and felt more comfortable. I wonder if those seats will plug and play?

Does anyone know if all Subaru buck seats are interchangeable throughout the years?

They aren't. Have seats from a 2002 LL Bean in my 95. All the mounting bolts match up except one. Thinking the rear inner ones. Also you will have to reuse the original seat belts because the newer ones have a different latching mechanism.

thank you everybody for your input. this may just be temporary but since we aren't driving the 93 legacy anymore, i think i may just put the driver's seat out of it into my outback. it's funny how a car that is 5 years older and have 50,000 more miles has seats that are more comfortable...

thank you everybody for your input. this may just be temporary but since we aren't driving the 93 legacy anymore, i think i may just put the driver's seat out of it into my outback. it's funny how a car that is 5 years older and have 50,000 more miles has seats that are more comfortable...

I agree with you. I had a 91 Leggie wagon years back. The seats were much more comfortable then what is in my 99 OBW.