Ultimate Subaru Message Board

BRZ-STI well, is worth the lo-ooo-ong wait?

I'm diggin it, but it's not something I would purchase. I'm a Subi loyalist because I live in the PNW and snowboard, ride mountain bikes, camp, and hike. Thus, an exceptionally capable AWD machine is what I need.

However, Toyota's successful lineage of RWD coupes coupled with Subaru's reliable torque monster boxer engine should be a very fun car to drive, and will be a joy to hear about it thrashing on Corvettes that cost 2x as much.

For a 2.0 liter, it is going to scoot at only 2500 pounds, and with the engine 4" lower than usual. Think 50/50 weight, and LOW center of gravity, won't even have body roll in tight corners. Also, should get pretty decent mpg.

Not sure any other 2.0 will handle anywhere close to as well.

There is a nice 2 page write up on the Subaru BRZ in the latest issue of Car & Driver, the December 2011 issue of the magazine. Their write up speaks highly of the collaboration between Subaru & Toyota, and prolly a nice car for the money.

I like Car & Driver for realistic presentation of cars while providing some humor. In their article they denote the Subaru "flat-four revs far more lustily than any non-turbo Subru, but the sound-basically that of an Evinrude outboard chasing small mouth bass-is typical for a Subaru flattie." To me, that description prompted a good chuckle. Now, it is going to be hard for me to listen to any Subaru motor without thinking it sounds like an Evinrude.