Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cant figure this one out..........haha

Hi everyone im totally new to this territory im sorry for not introducing myself and straight asking for help but i`ve hit my wits, end for now. been trying to figure out for a few weeks why my baby refuses to do what its told and its stopping me getting a job so im trying everything i can

I have an OMEGA GT coupe with an ea82 1.8ltr mpfi fwd manual engine

guess i should start from when i first started having trouble, my rockers were leaking pretty bad so got the kit drove it onto the drive way to change them and the water pump gave out. i did the rockers my self cleaned and put new seals grommets got someone to help me install a new water pump.

drove it around after that its been running pretty rough with a bit of hesitation under acceration

its only gotten worse lately with dramatic loss in power it also has a kind of surge after hesitation

got my leads and coil tested @ garage, also took the cap off the dizz and contacts where pretty black also kind of buring elctrical fire smell coming from that area nether is normal

i`ve checked and changed the plugs, two on passenger(which would be opposite in the usa) fully black, other greyish, driverside both white ish.

changed the fuel filter and flushed engine with stp as i thought could be something with pvc filter but now have no $$ to replace

Checked all vacume hoses, noticed some are pretty blocked and cleaned what i could, also replaced rotor on dizy with a spare one

looked @ the computer today and its flashing 3 long wihich is not a code i can find on the internet and im pretty damn positive thats its 3 long

only other thing i`ve noticed is alot of water coming from exhaust

i dont think its injectors cose i put some cleaner through them not long ago

still possible its leads as they werent tested under load, when i rev in neutral from low end rpm kind of sputters but when its above 3k sounds like new

(tho when in gear and driving hesitates / surges in high rpm)

all i can think of now is timing

so should i set it on fire.........

hahaar

but any advice or tips anyone can offer would be awsome

Cher

maybe you have a bad intake gasket, causing a lean burn on one side, and allowing coolant to be ingested in the combustion, but without losing compression.

i am assuming dual port intake, as you stated mpfi.

what year?

a code 3 is most likely an identifier code for the car's market.

you would have a combination of long and short flashes for a 2 digit trouble code, which is readable by using the test connectors. Test connectors should remain unplugged during normal operation.

It does sound like you have a lean condition.

Use a can of spray cleaner (brake cleaner, carb cleaner, etc) to spray around the hoses and fittings - if you hear the engine smooth out and the idle speed increase you have found a vacuum leak. Use this technique on the intake manifold gaskets before you go tearing off the manifold and replaceing them.

Also - have you changed the fuel filter? The high-RPM surging could be fuel starvation.

At any rate you have a lot of lean symptoms.

GD

It does sound like you have a lean condition.

Use a can of spray cleaner (brake cleaner, carb cleaner, etc) to spray around the hoses and fittings - if you hear the engine smooth out and the idle speed increase you have found a vacuum leak. Use this technique on the intake manifold gaskets before you go tearing off the manifold and replaceing them.

Also - have you changed the fuel filter? The high-RPM surging could be fuel starvation.

At any rate you have a lot of lean symptoms.

GD

yea fuel filter one of the first things i tryed didnt notice much dif. ill give the engine a spray n see what happends.

cheer for the help