Ultimate Subaru Message Board

This is kind of a continuation from this thread:

http://ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=127008

I purchased a new radiator from Subaru and the top and bottom part of the aluminum core support was cut in the center. This part is not part of the tubes, just the support. I thought it was a manufacturing defect and the dealer ordered another one, and it too is cut in the same fashion.

Has anybody seen this before? Is there any reason for the cuts? I could argue it's for thermal expansion, but I've never seen any radiators like this before.

Here are some pictures.

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subaru/images/radiatorcomparison/

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Thermal expansionmost likely, just like an expansion strip in a road.

Or

Its just for ease of assembly. Remeber sooby doesnt make these a supplier does.

PS (update)

Looking at the pictures, something aitn right. Those cuts are made by a band saw (sloppy). If they were made on purpose it would be a cleaner mfg seperation.

I dont like it.

I would get a radiator from an aftermarket source.

Edited by nipper

I have an aftermarket radiator on order with delivery in a couple of days for my 98 OBW. I will certainly check mine to see if it has the odd cuts or not. Sure seems strange to have the cuts, I can't imagine there is much need to have the cuts for heat expansion??

If it was there for expansion, it posxsibly because they made those brackets out of aluminum instead of steel (I am purely guessing) by mistake. If you look closely there is RTV there (the clearish goo) and that really bothers me.

For the heck of it, let SOA know via email with pics.

These things are bought off of certs and don't really go through QA inhouse again with a trusted supplier. It could be that SOA is unaware of it. Also ask them why it is there and point out it is a hand cut, there is RTV there wich is suspicous, and two OE radiators came that way.

They do answer emails as they apreciate the cult, i mean customers.

The fact that these cuts were on John's original radiator leads me to believe it is intentional. I however agree that the cuts do look like they've been made by a ban saw and are sloppy.

My guess is thermal expansion and stress relieving. Due to their relative closeness to the steel supports/mounts, they are likely to see the most impact from stress due to differences in thermal growth.

I will try and take some measurements of the crack when the engine is "cold" and when the engine is "hot". I'll also see if there appears to be any tension in the steel support when loosen the bolts when the engine is "hot".

Supposedly the Subaru dealership is contacting Subaru for an answer as to why. Depending on what I hear back, I'll email Subaru if need be.

Why in hell do you say what in hell to me, have i done something to piss you off?

:confused:

I can only go by the pics that are shown and to my eyes. Picture three looks like there may goo there on the link.

Also looking closer man oh man what a piss poor cut job this is.

Why in hell do you say what in hell to me, have i done something to piss you off?

:confused:

I can only go by the pics that are shown and to my eyes. Picture three looks like there may goo there on the link.

Also looking closer man oh man what a piss poor cut job this is.

No, just wondering where you saw RTV. All I see is metal.

Oh boo-hoo the cut is crooked. :-p Maybe Javier was hungover that day? :drunk: