Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Seattle Area help with exhaust on 86 GL 4wd Hatch - Will Pay!

Hello!

I have an 86 3 door hatch 4wd hatch in essentially stock condition. Not quite 250,000 miles.

I'll get right to the issue. The exhaust is on its last leg. The head pipes are ok to the cat but the cat is very rattlely and irritating from what i assume is rusted out guts. The pipe from the cat to the muffler is about gone. It is still attached and sort of intact but wont be salvageable. The muffler is good as it was replaced a couple years ago.

I need advice and/or help. I would prefer to run a straight pipe from the header pipes to the muffler. I would like to eliminate the cat. It is registered in Montana so emissions testing won't be an issue. I would put a new cat if I could find one for a reasonable cost.

I don't weld or have exhaust bending type "stuff". Is there anyone willing to help me with parts source for this stuff or is able to help create a Y pipe and bend a simple tube exhaust to the muffler.

I am willing to pay $100 for the work and will help in anyway i can.

Thanks,

Rob

I have what you need. It will bolt right up. I actually have Y-pipe, center section (with the cat already taken out), ant the rear section with just a glasspack. All of it is in working condition I took it off my car in preparation for a complete drivetrain swap. Let me know if you are interested..

Spencer

I am interested in both of your solutions. I am a little afraid of having a hard time getting the head bolts off. is there an easy way to get the head bolts off without breaking the:clap: posts? it seems like breaking the posts would make it much more difficult to fix. the only other thing I could think of is to cut it a immediately after the y and weld a new part in. I would only replace the mid section of the pipe but the cat is the most rattlely part.

I am interested in both of your solutions. I am a little afraid of having a hard time getting the head bolts off. is there an easy way to get the head bolts off without breaking the:clap: posts? it seems like breaking the posts would make it much more difficult to fix. the only other thing I could think of is to cut it a immediately after the y and weld a new part in. I would only replace the mid section of the pipe but the cat is the most rattlely part.
Soak the exhaust nuts with Yield rust penetrant (I can lend you mine if you don't have any) overnight for a few days. That should make the nuts removeable without too much trouble.

As to the emissions testing issue, you have an '86. In WA state, emissions testing is not required if the car is 25 years or older. Next year you should be okay. You'd have to ask if an emissions test is required if you transfer the title to WA next year.

I have anything we would need at the shop. Only time I've had a stud break on me has been from a car that spent most its life in Michigan.

Now I need to know before we go any further, is it an EA82 3-door or an EA81 hatch? Post a pic so I can determine that I have the correct parts.

I also have some awesome rust penetrant here at the shop too. If it works out, I have access to a lift and have mucho amounts of tools as I work for an independent Subaru shop in Kirkland.

Do you work at All Wheel Drive Auto? I used to live in Bellevue and you guys helped me with an oil pump that broke off when trying to remove it from this car.

It is a EA81 3 door hatch. The small one.

EA81Hatch.jpg

Edited by Turbone

Dang....

since its just the mid pipe that is bad...from the Y to the muffler...i dont think it would be very hard to recreate one with a bender and a welder but it's not something I am able to do myself.

Turbone...wanna make a little extra $$? :-)