Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i've never had a problem with them being exposed here in the land of rust, so you being in a lesser rust prone area would probably be fine. given how everything else rusts up here i'm not sure why they don't.

most subaru wheels have the axle nuts covered via a hub cap or center cover, does yours maybe have those?

My Subaru wheels have a plastic cover, my steel winter wheels do not. I must have driven the 97 like this for years and never noticed. I think it's just newer car syndrom.

A lot of our roads get treated with mag-chloride. It's very hard on aluminum wheels, so most people run their snow tires on steel.

The end of the axle is about the last thing I'd worry about. Brake lines, the fuel filler tube, emissions pipes, trans cooler lines, all that stuff will rust out before there will be a problem with the axle tips. There's many products you could spray on the ends though as a little protection if desired, like amsoil heavy duty metal protector, kanolabs Prevox, etc.