Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my $2 MAF adapter

Uberoo

If you need a MAF adapter for a cold air intake or snorkel you could buy one for about $30 give or take, Or you can make one for about $2.I had an old stock legacy airbox so I cut out the section that the MAF bolts to.A dremel with a cut off wheel works great here.Once I had that out I drilled out the two rivets that hold the metal backing plate to the plastic.Once that is done you are left with a roughly rectanglar piece of plastic with 4 holes and big hole in the center-and the backing plate.Save the backing plate and go to your local home improvement store with the plastic section and see if you can find something that will fit inside the hole.I found a 3-4" adapter thingie for PVC that fit into the hole and had a slight taper to it.So the further you slid it the plastic section the harder it was to push.Perfect.So I bought it for a total of 2.14 after tax.Once you get it home cut off the section of the adapter where it tapers up from 3 to 4".You will be left with a plastic tube that is tight fitting into the rectangular airbox section you removed eariler.It fits so nice you probally could just have it stuffed in there with nothing holding it other than friction,but I put a little bit of super glue on it for good measure.

The metal backing plate itself needs a little bit of work.it has a formed "air horn" on it and that needs to go.So drill out the 4 spot welds and it will pop out.

finally trim the adapter to fit the edges of the MAF sensor.

Bolt everything together and there you go.total project time was an hour,including wandering home depot.Total cost was $2 if you have a stock legacy airbox handy.

optional would be a can of black spray paint if you cant stand the contrast of black and white plastic.Mines going on an offroader so a couple times out everything under the hood will be the same brown so I'm not really worried about it.

Picture003-2.jpg

Picture004-1.jpg

Picture002-2.jpg

Picture001-2.jpg