Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Salvage titles for minor damage! Argh!!!

It just kills me to to keep finding cars like this. :(

?IID=1111034002&PN=2&PID=58996265&TM=0&T=640&AC=OLDRS&WID=0

Odometer: 92,164 MILES - ACTUAL

Title: PA SALVAGE

DAMAGE TYPE: FRONT END; LEFT SIDE

LOSS TYPE: COLLISION

CLEAN cars, with low mileage and little to no rust keep being given salvage titles, or even stripped of their titles and sold with a "junked car bill-of-sale"... due to "front end collision damage" or other trivial things like that. :banghead:

Perfectly good, running driving cars... which are now in situations that make it hugely difficult for someone else to ever drive them again... all because an insurance company doesn't want to do <$500 of repair work for a car so lightly damaged that many of us wouldn't even consider it to need fixing. :banghead::banghead:

I swear, for these EA82s, 80%+ of the "salvage" cars I've found (which is a LOT of them) are in significantly better shape than the "clean title" cars that are still on the roads around here. :banghead:

any car, older than 1991, with even a slight dent is going to get totalled. You know the reason?

Because, body shops simply cannot order new parts, fenders, doors, bumpers for them anymore, and insurance companies mostly do not allow use of used old parts, they require new parts. So if new cannot be bought, then yeah they total it out.

I will bet anybody who has a BRAT claim, will get it totalled for even a tailight broken a=or a dented front bumper.

i'm surprised people still maintain full coverage insurance on those old things! guess that's one way to get money out of them - go wreck them or "claim" a wreck. insurance companies are probably getting worked over by folks with old EA82's when they realize they aren't worth much on the rust coast where these things disappeared 10 years ago.

can you try to find one you can buy and fix it? i've bought salvage titles, it's not hard and not a big deal. i've done it in WV and my friends do it in MD.

...Because, body shops simply cannot order new parts, fenders, doors, bumpers for them anymore, and insurance companies mostly do not allow use of used old parts, they require new parts. So if new cannot be bought, then yeah they total it out.

I will bet anybody who has a BRAT claim, will get it totalled for even a tailight broken a=or a dented front bumper.

Holy Cow! ... :eek: ... Now I'm Glad that I Live in the Caribbean... Here you can do whatever you want to your car, even insured; as Long as it Pass an inspection.

Kind Regards.

i'm surprised people still maintain full coverage insurance on those old things!

I think the only people with full coverage are the ones with the nicest cars... :(

can you try to find one you can buy and fix it? i've bought salvage titles, it's not hard and not a big deal. i've done it in WV and my friends do it in MD.

I've never done it myself, but it seems to be difficult in Wisconsin... you have to have VINs, seller signatures, and receipts for all of the parts used to rebuild it... has to have an inspection... extra fees... can't be on the public roadways until it is fixed/inspected, etc.

Honestly though, I have no idea what would happen if you took a car like that one into the inspection station and said "Yep, here it is. No receipts, I didn't fix anything. It's fine (and legal) as it is." :confused:

I've never done it myself, but it seems to be difficult in Wisconsin... you have to have VINs, seller signatures, and receipts for all of the parts used to rebuild it... has to have an inspection... extra fees... can't be on the public roadways until it is fixed/inspected, etc.
that's what everyone says and it does sound difficult when you listen to a bunch of people that have never done it before.

so i was nervous the first time i did it. luckily i have friends in maryland that have done it numerous times over the decades so that was an encouragement. yes, the paper work and logistics all say VIN checking, receipts, and before and after pictures....it's a formality and not rocket science. i was concerned because some of the repairs had already been started so i didn't have "before" pictures and was wondering if i need all body damage, exhaust damage, and air bag and pretensioner replacement pic's, etc. but it was all mostly a formality - they look through what you got, nothing looked completely silly, and they passed it without asking any questions.

buy car, repair it, document the repair (keep receipts and take pic's, whatever they want), and inspect it at the special inspections they do. in our rural state they only have once a month so i was worried i'd fail the first time because i had never done it before and have to wait an entire month...nope, it passed.

surely not for everyone but considering i got into an H6 VDC OB really cheap, well worth it. and that picture in the beginning of this thread - it sure doesn't seem to difficult to document that repair, it barely needs anything!

Guess it varies state by state. My GL was hit in 2003 or so and I swapped the slightly dented bumper ($30-35) and kicked the fender and you could not tell anything had happened. (unless you looked behind the bumper, the support under the headlight had like 1/4 inch of compression done to it) Insurance said the damage was $1200, i think they gave me $750 for the car and I bought it back for $45 :clap:

I forget if I had to have it inspected at all. I think they just branded the title is all. (I still have the registration) I think if they did inspect it, they checked the VIN, and that the horn and lights worked and nothing was hanging off.

This car would not require inspection in WI unless it was 1996 or newer, and if so, only in a handful of counties.

Bring that PA title or bill of sale to WI and it's good for a WI title.

I had a car that came from NH. They didnt require a title for cars more than 15 years old. I could have gotten a WI title for it if i had the original NH registration withthe bill of sale. But i could not get ahold of the guy i got it from for the reg.

so, i swapped the vin plate and assumed it as a car i already junked. I drove it like this for e few years, sold it, it got sold again, and the last owner gave it back to me to swap parts into another car. and then i junked it.

WI is probably the easiest state to hafe and drive a car in.

too bad it wasn't the same for motorcycles, though.

This car would not require inspection in WI unless it was 1996 or newer, and if so, only in a handful of counties.

I had a car that came from NH. They didnt require a title for cars more than 15 years old. I could have gotten a WI title for it if i had the original NH registration withthe bill of sale. But i could not get ahold of the guy i got it from for the reg.

so, i swapped the vin plate and assumed it as a car i already junked. I drove it like this for e few years, sold it, it got sold again, and the last owner gave it back to me to swap parts into another car. and then i junked it.

WI is probably the easiest state to hafe and drive a car in.

too bad it wasn't the same for motorcycles, though.

Where were you when I was trying to get a title for my title-less California Brat? Drop me a phone number by PM and maybe we can talk. I have a legitimate bill of sale and wouldn't mind taking the car to the WA State Police to have an incoming from out of state car with a title in hand.

Thanks for the info, Miles.

For the record, I'm not going to buy this car... I already have too many. :) But it is good to know that the process isn't as bad as it seems....

My Loyale was stolen when I lived in California. I was supposed to register it as salvaged, but moved before I did. I will not even begin to tell you the nightmare I had getting it registered in Colorado. It involved a lot of money in tickets (expired tags) and a trip to California to re-register it there despite having moved. Then it still took three more trips to the DMV here, and two trips to the emissions tester (I passed) and talking to the office manager at the DMV before it was registered. Now it has a clean 'rebuilt from salvage' title, though.

people today think old cars are obsolete, so when ever an old car gets damaged they total it to get rid of them.

they didnt consider my xt6 a loss for the front damage, probably because the insurance company lacks the ability to have it hauled away, (the general) for example.

now if its local collision i imagine they will total it, i will fight to keep my xt6.

These cars book at such a low value it's not worth fixing them to the insurance company.

In it's current condition of rust holes, mix'n'match body panels, dents, etc it's probably only worth $200 at the very most. If a truck threw a rock at the windshield I bet the insurance would try to tell me it was a total loss...

• 3 weeks later...

I work at a wrecking yard, and we do get lots of calls for parts for subarus, and you guys are right, not many are from body shops or insurance companies, unless someone is doing a private pay.

As far as licensing a junk vehicle. I've only had to do it once, and it was just a couple weeks ago. As far as I'm concerned, it couldn't have been easier. I was paranoid, no doubt about that.

All that was wrong with this when it was brought to us was a blown engine, which I happened to have 3 spares of, I changed the engine, got my date for inspection.

I showed up at the state patrol, had my wrecking yard bill of sale, my receipt for the car, and receipt for the engine. The patrolman looked at those, checked the vin on my dash and made sure the vin on the center pillar was the same, and I was done. Didnt have to start it, turn on lights, nothing.

I couldn't believe it. It was 6 weeks from the day that I called for the appointment till they did the inspection, and I was concerned about how it would go.

I probably just got lucky