Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just bought this 92 Legacy Outback with a 2.2L It has 216K miles on it. I surges a idle so I changed the Plugs they looked ok but bady worn except for one which had a litte carbon build up on it. then found out that the previous owner put black tape over the check engine lignt. With the help of the tech forum ( http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/engine.html) (thanks guys) i was able to pull the Codes. it is throwing code(s) 43, 45, 35, 33,24, 13,14,15,16 and 17. Since it is surging at Idle i feel that it is the aircontrol

valve but havent tested it yet. My next step is to reset the ECU and drive it

again to see what codes if any pop up.

Update: ok, after resetting the ECU and Warming up the Engine, a Code 35 (purge control Valve) came up. I then drove the car a few miles at approx 35 mph and came back and checked again and a code 32, O2 Sensor, but now my

question is how do you tell if it is the upstream sensor or Downstream?

I am new to soobys so any Ideas from more experienced mechanics would be

appreciated.

Edited by mwbean

I started looking up a couple of those, like atmospheric pressure sensor, evap canister purge, it almost sounds like you have a wiring harness that is starting to come unplugged or other wiring issue with so many codes. Yours must be a Legacy wagon, the Legacy Outback didn't start until 1995.