Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Steam Cleaning the Engine Compartment

In order to steam clean it, what parts should not get wet? I have a Weber carb so I'm assuming it & its air cleeaner should be protected. Or not necessary? What about the distributor? Anything else?

Or is steam cleaning under the hood a bad idea altogether?

Car is an '86 GL wagon.

Take care around any connectors, the alternator and the disty.

At least the disty can be opened up and cleaned with WD-40 or similar.

If you search for cleaning engines, you'll find that unless you're entering your car into a show its really more trouble than it's worth, electrical gremlins and all.

I routinely steam clean all my engines and most engines prior to removal - so far I've never had a problem. The worst I've had happen is the distributor get wet inside and have to be sprayed out with WD-40. One thing you can do to mitigate any problems is have an air compressor ready to dry out everything. I steam clean for sometimes 20 or 30 minutes - I follow by immediately drying out the whole engine bay with compressed air and then (if possible) I start and run them till the radiator drys out, etc.

If you can - spray the whole thing down with simple green and allow it to sit for 15 minutes or so prior to the steam clean. Works wonders.

I worked for an industrial machine manufacturer/rebuilder - we would open up 480v electric motors, steam clean the windings (useing soap even!) and then allow them to air dry before reassembly. This was common and accepted practice - we did Meg-Ohm the windings prior to running them but typically they were dry by the following day.

Avoid spraying the Weber air filter directly.

Otherwise - go to town.

GD

be careful around the disty and spark plug boots. Otherwise easy to cure with wd-40 if it gets wet.

This is best done when the engine is warm and running, and can run to dry out before shutting down.

Be careful as high pressure spray can work its way bast seals and get water in tight places. But if you have good aim with the sprayer, you can avoid this if you are conscious of it.

Get the engine warm and put some foamy engine brite on first to break down the sludge. The foam is most effective if you can scrape off the greasy chunk accumulation.

Dish soap and water in a bucket with a rag will allow you to get in tighter areas, and to wash off whatever the sprayer leaves as a film.

you don't have to be too afraid of getting any of the 12v electricals wet, as long as you are not spraying directly into relays and connectors.

I'm leaning toward not doing it. The last time I had it done, at the detail shop where I take my car every so many years, the dist. got wet. And then it caused a backfire so bad that it blew out my muffler. So it ended up costing me more than what having a clean engine compartment was actually worth.

The precautions are scaring me off since I would be turning it over to a detail shop & not doing it myself. And it's not even that grimy under the hood. It's just not spiffy-new -looking.

The precautions are scaring me off since I would be turning it over to a detail shop & not doing it myself. And it's not even that grimy under the hood. It's just not spiffy-new -looking.

Oh he*l no.

Never trust a kid from a detail shop to have fun with the high pressure hose under your hood. no way no way no way

You maybe, and i barely say maybe, learned something the last time you had them do that and they caused you exhaust blowout......learn, run away run away..

How about the garden hose with the sprayer. Way less pressure.

How about driving around in the rain?

I guyess to literally answer your question

What parts should not get wet? -Any of it would get wet on its own in the rain, so, none of them.

or is steam cleaning a bad idea altoghther? -no

or should your question read

"How can i and what would it take to goof something up while washing my engine. How far out of my way do i have to go to mess it up?

Least comes to least, wash it down with a rag and rinse with the hose while washing the rest of the car. This is what I do. I do not have a pressure washer.

To answer your 2nd post, try doing it yourself instead of the detail shop, if you don't trust someone else's competency.

OR, do some routine maintenance, and pack some dielectric grease in the spark plug and wire boots, and preemptively treat the disty with wd-40 and maybe seal it up with a bead of silicone, as this will make you more secure in wet weather driving regardless of power washing.

Edited by MilesFox

...Never trust a kid from a detail shop to have fun with the high pressure hose under your hood. no way no way no way...

That's why I always pay to the Detail shop to let them me Use the Steam Cleaner by Myself, instead of lettin' a Kid to have Fun with my Subie's engine.

Also I always Spray the Engine's Oily / Greasy \ Muddy areas with an Engine Cleaner and let it sit there for a While Before use the Steam Gun; then I use a Mix of Kerosene and Powder Soap to Wash out all the Dirt; finally Rinse with Fresh Water... and Voilá! :burnout:

How about the garden hose with the sprayer. Way less pressure.

How about driving around in the rain?

I guyess to literally answer your question

What parts should not get wet? -Any of it would get wet on its own in the rain, so, none of them.

or is steam cleaning a bad idea altoghther? -no

or should your question read

"How can i and what would it take to goof something up while washing my engine. How far out of my way do i have to go to mess it up?

Least comes to least, wash it down with a rag and rinse with the hose while washing the rest of the car. This is what I do. I do not have a pressure washer.

To answer your 2nd post, try doing it yourself instead of the detail shop, if you don't trust someone else's competency.

OR, do some routine maintenance, and pack some dielectric grease in the spark plug and wire boots, and preemptively treat the disty with wd-40 and maybe seal it up with a bead of silicone, as this will make you more secure in wet weather driving regardless of power washing.

It wasn't a kid in a detail shop, it was the owner and he doesn't have anyone help him. He's had this shop for at least 15 years.

I'm nearly 70 years old, a female and slightly disabled and it's been many years since I've washed my own car. :grin:

See, you (the generic 'you') shouldn't assume everyone has the expertise and phyiscal ability to do things themselves to their cars just because they own & love an old Subaru...that's profiling.

It wasn't a kid in a detail shop, it was the owner and he doesn't have anyone help him. He's had this shop for at least 15 years.

I'm nearly 70 years old, a female and slightly disabled and it's been many years since I've washed my own car. :grin:

See, you (the generic 'you') shouldn't assume everyone has the expertise and phyiscal ability to do things themselves to their cars just because they own & love an old Subaru...that's profiling.

:clap:Yer Beautiful! I love this post! USMB Rules! Along with its members!:burnout: