Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm not going to complain too much, considering that I've been giving the Legacy the ol' "blow it out the tailpipe" method of clearing out the carbon, but it seems to be getting exceptionally low mileage. Like around 15-18mpg; even on the highway.

I know on the Loyale, my PCV and bad timing were causing a drop in fuel econ, what are the go to fixes for fuel economy on the EJ22?

Compression is good, tires are well inflated, etc etc.

I'm not going to worry too much until I get a chance to change the oil and triple seafoam the engine to clear the boogers out, but I figure I should look for other possible causes for concern as well.

i have a 95 legacy with an ej22 an the gas mileage isnt great.....maybe 20-23 mpg on highway.... only 113000 miles on her too..... not much you can do....i added a cone airfilter and it improved a little

edit: maybe i didnt give enough credit to my poor soob lmao..... i average bout 250 miles a tank and its a 10 gallon tank i believe. everytime ive filled er up when on E i put in bout 9.5 gallons and its FULL. tryed topping off one time....got gas everywhere.

Edited by 95legwagon

this economy that i reported was with 205/70 15's forester wheels. But the odometer would be off by 8%, as the mileage would be under on the odometer than actual speed. maybe it was better.

I have a cherry bomb on this car s the original muffler blew out, and the car lost torque. The 'bomb brings torque and mpg's back about 90% compared to the original muffler

I'm going to do Seafoam through the vac ports into the intake, in the oil, and in the gas tank (Breaking down and buying the gallon since I seem to use it so much) plus an oil change. Going to hit a few 6k rpm pulls and see how much of a 007 smoke screen I can blow out.

:Flame:

Have you replaced the plugs, wires and air filter recently? What about the fuel filter?

That's about what I got with my last 92 legacy, but it had outback suspension, way larger tires than the 4eat wanted, and a roof rack. My "new" 92 I get about 25-27 with, but that's a five speed, no lift, and no roof rack, my wallet likes this one much better :brow:

i was gettin 26-28 on the freeway, then it got cold. it dropped to 17... i replaced the knock sensor (per code) and its gettin even 20...

i'm still not impressed.. but yesterday when it was below freezing outside, it didn't want to idle less than 1500rpms.. so even tho its not giving me a code, its going to get a coolant temp sensor. since it tells the ecu how cold the engine is, which in turn makes the ecu go rich, lean, etc..

we'll have to drag race cal.. just so you have a comparison of how yours should be moving :) j/k;)

With highway driving I get 21-23 mpg, I think I got 24 one time and I calculate my MPG EVERY TANK because I don't trust the gas gauge. With 4.11 gears you aren't going to get great mileage.
this is with an outback lift, roof rack and the tallest/widest tires I can fit under the car. My GPS says my Odometer is pretty accurate now that I have big tires on it. It was probably off by 10% with the older stock sized tires.

Fuel gauge is off actually.

I was just estimating off of the fact that I put 4 gallons in when the fuel light came on, and drove it til the light came on again (accurate as a hand grenade, I know) but it was closer to 22-23, which I can fully live with; given the fact that I haven't gone through it yet.