Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Original Lettering On the Fuel Door

My '86 GL wagon came with some lettered decal on the fuel door that said something to the effect of "unleaded only". What color was that originally?

Is it possible to find that decal somewhere to place over the place where my original was?

My car is that dark gunmetal gray and the fuel door is a salvaged replacement (with a real wimpy spring). Somehow my original one got taken off in some shop or other where I had my car and I didn't discover it for a few days. Of course no one knew anything about it. Why someone would remove it I have no idea - made no sense.

Is there a way to tighten that weak spring?

And the lettering, can that be obtained?

Minor points, I know, but still, it would be nice to have it be right.

It probably did say unleaded only when it was new.... but since they don't sell leaded gas anymore at the pumps and your car is unlikely to be mistaken for a diesel or LPG powered unit.... I would say paint the fuel door some color of your choosing that complements the exterior color.

I'm sure Pooparu (Earl) could reproduce the Unleaded Only sticker if you really must have one. There is probably also a dealer part number for it somewhere... not sure how you would obtain it though.

GD

they are out there, something may be generic on this

Pretty sure the sticker was "unleaded fuel only"

i can still see the entire letters shadows on my Brat of this sticker, sun fade letters on the original paint right above the filler door.

also on the dash bezel is the same, right near the wiper switch/gas guage location

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-original-VW-Beetle-Unleaded-Fuel-only-sticker-decal-NOS-concours-/220884237176?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item336db9fb78#ht_500wt_1113

these types of things add to any restoration result.

same goes for the door sticker on the interior panel and same goes for the Brat fun top instruction on the headliner panel.

Edited by bheinen74

It probably did say unleaded only when it was new.... but since they don't sell leaded gas anymore at the pumps and your car is unlikely to be mistaken for a diesel or LPG powered unit.... I would say paint the fuel door some color of your choosing that complements the exterior color.

I know it takes unleaded only. That wasn't my point. I'm trying to get/keep the car in original condition.

The fuel door that I have is the right color. I just want it to have the original decal it came with on it.

I'm sure Pooparu (Earl) could reproduce the Unleaded Only sticker if you really must have one. There is probably also a dealer part number for it somewhere... not sure how you would obtain it though.

GD

To have it reproduced would require a template, which I don't have. I was kinda' wondering if, out there somewhere, in somebody's garage, or a wrecking yard, there existed a gray fuel door with the decal still intact.

Like I said, a minor point but it doesn't hurt to inquire.

At the rate the old Subaru's are being parted out and/or heavily modified, there won't be a stock-condition mid-80s model left anywhere in the U.S. before long.

I know it takes unleaded only. That wasn't my point. I'm trying to get/keep the car in original condition.

To what end? It is unlikely the car will be worth much of anything in your lifetime.

At the rate the old Subaru's are being parted out and/or heavily modified, there won't be a stock-condition mid-80s model left anywhere in the U.S. before long.

I think you underestimate how many of these were made. People find all kinds of random stuff - There has been two EA81's found in just the Portland area in the last few years with less than 20k miles on them. All original and garaged their entire life. EA82's are even more plentiful.

To "restore" one at this point is really not a money-making proposition. There simply is no collectible market for them and there may never really be. The problem with collectibles and antiques is they are fast becoming obsolete - in 20 or 30 years when we make the switch to all-electric vehicles there will not be nearly the market for collectible cars that there is today because they won't be functional. They will be about as collectible as horse carts. Antique and collectible markets are dropping rapidly - China is reproducing anything that was once desireable and the car companies are seeing profits in reproducing body styles from the 60's. Just wait - soon you will be able to order a '56 Chev reproduction from China I bet. No joke - it's destroying the antique industry in the US. I can buy a replica 1950's coke machine for 1/4 the price - it looks the same and it actually functions and I can use it without fear of breaking it and not being able to get parts. With the internet they can sell items that once had a miniscule market because there might have only been one person in each town/city that wanted one. Now with the internet you can reach each of those people with a single web site and together they create a market that's worth exploiting for profit. That means you can sell 1000 or 10,000 of them and it becomes profitable to reproduce the item. Thus anything and everything is being reproduced because there's a market for it.

At any rate Earl would not need one for a template - take a picture for him and measure it. He can find/make the font and create you a nearly exact replica from just a picture and the size.

GD

To what end? It is unlikely the car will be worth much of anything in your lifetime.

It's not about the dollar value. I'm a preservationist. I like to keep old things in their original condition. I guess you could say it's a hobby.

I think you underestimate how many of these were made. People find all kinds of random stuff - There has been two EA81's found in just the Portland area in the last few years with less than 20k miles on them. All original and garaged their entire life. EA82's are even more plentiful.

From the reading I do on here and on the classifieds of this site, old Subaru's are being wrecked & parted out at an alarming rate. Or modified nearly beyond recognition. But that isn't my concern, I'm just watching the trend but it doesn't apply to me in any way.

I was an antiques dealer & collector for many years, maybe that's where I get my preservationist leanings.

I was an antiques dealer & collector for many years, maybe that's where I get my preservationist leanings.

I understand it - don't get me wrong. My mom ran a (profitable) antique business for 30 years. I grew up with it. I have a lot of very rare and unique things - both in my home and my garage. The problem is - the whole industry is taking a dive. Things that were worth $500 to $1000 a few years ago - you practically can't give away today. Part of it is that people found out this stuff wasn't as rare as they thought - lots of people died and guess what - they were hanging on to that stuff because they thought it would be valueable or because they simply liked it - which is what made it popular and valuable for a few years in the antique market.

EA82's are not in any way, shape, or form an endangered species around here. Not yet anyway. You have to go a lot farther back to find rarity in the Subaru world. I can lay may hands on a very nice '78 wagon tomorrow for $400.... for example. That's considerably older and still has virtually no value.

I'm a mechanic - I understand repairing something because it's functional. But I actually despise (car) museums because while they preserve the item itself - it has lost some of what it was because it doesn't get used anymore. I would much rather see something modified and used than collected and preserved in a bottle. A car isn't just a pretty thing - it's a purpose built machine and unless it serves that purpose it's meaning isn't whole.

GD