Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Finally was able to replace stubborn rear o2 sensor

My '96 has been coughing up P0141 for over a year now. I was finally last night able to get the blasted rear O2 sensor out of this thing! I started trying to replace it over a year ago but never could quite get it to budge. So every few weeks I would put kroil on it with the exhaust hot. And every few months I would try to remove it.

Finally last night I was getting upset with it. So I got it good and hot, and also put real beeswax around the threads. It smelled really nice. Then I put a 22mm wrench on the sensor, backed up, and put both feet on top of the wrench and pushed as hard as I could.

I thought I might screw something up in the exhaust. After doing that a couple of times, the darn thing FINALLY let loose and I could get it out!!!!!!!!

Now to see if that code stays away.

I had trouble with that on my 99 OBW last summer. I finally bought an 02 socket with an offset to attach the drive. I then added a long bar over the end of the drive for added leverage, and got it to break loose. Prior to, I had squirted well with PB Blaster, a couple of days before hand. I raised the car up on drive up portable plastic ramps to be able to get under the car.

Glad you got yours loose. It is always very satisfying to successfully complete a car project.

That was what I did too, pulled it up on four plastic ramps. That makes it quick and easy to get under there.

I unplugged the sensor so I could get a wrench on it. I had an o2 sensor socket but it felt a little sloppy of a fit and was starting to round it off.

I was going to use a pipe but I had read sometimes if you use way too much force it can mess up the exhaust but fortunately that did not happen!

That was what I did too, pulled it up on four plastic ramps. That makes it quick and easy to get under there.

I unplugged the sensor so I could get a wrench on it. I had an o2 sensor socket but it felt a little sloppy of a fit and was starting to round it off.

I was going to use a pipe but I had read sometimes if you use way too much force it can mess up the exhaust but fortunately that did not happen!

I just used 2 plastic ramps in front, and chocked the rear wheels to prevent car roll back. That gave me enough room to crawl underneath.

I had heard the same concern about not using too much force for fear of stripping out the threads in the pipe. I just pulled down with a steady constant motion, and the 02 sensor came loose.

Nice! It's fun to hold it by the tail like a rat after it's out.

Now it's time to fix up some more of the heat shields that have come loose in the past year.

In the long run, I have found it best to use a Dremel tool to cut off the loose heat shields. Otherwise, seems like no matter what, the shields always found a way to loosen up again.