Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4EAT Won't shift out of 1st

First post,So I got roped into looking at a problem on this 1995 Legacy.4EAT trans will not shift out of 1st gear until you hit 6500 just like it is supposed to.I know this because of the same problem someone posted in 2007.But they did not respond where to go from here if it does shift out at 6500.I checked all wiring,fuses etc.Oil was good but they changed it anyway.This does have the manual 1st switch.But it goes to neutral not to 2nd at 6500.Does not matter whether hot or cold and the vehicle sat for a while(how Long?)I do not know, but the seller told the new owners (New owners a year ago), "The Transmission Was Working'.I am working on this just to hep this couple out, I searched for 3 hrs.and did find some info but nothing to steer me in the right direction.The vehicle is 5 or so miles from here and no internet so I downloaded what I could. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Is the AT Temp light flashing 16 times after you start the car?

If so the, the trans computer has a fault stored.

Getting the fault is complicated and you need to follow the instructions exactly.

They could always have a trans shop take a look. Many will do a free diagnostics.

the trans is designed to stay in 1 when it is shifted into 1, until you hit 6500 rpms or manually shift to another gear. it shifts at 6500 to protect the engine.

so it sounds like your trans thinks the shifter is in 1. so i would check the inhibitor switch on the passenger side of the trans. (it also reports to the TCU what gear you have put the shifter in) so i would check that.

or i would check the TCU, maybe replace it.

Edited by johnceggleston

If you put the shifter in 2 the trans should go into 2nd gear and stay there. Start with the shifter in 1 and bump it up into 2 around 15 mph and see if it shifts. If not speed up to around 25 mph and try it.

Seems to me I saw a thread about a TCU being replaced and solving a problem like this. But the Inhibitor switch is a good place to start.

Check the ATF fluid level. Dip stick is hidden low, down on the firewall on driver's side. It is a short little dip stick that is not easily found.

Is the ATF at the proper level on the stick? How does the ATF fluid look? Fresh...light redish color, or black as crude oil?

Thanks for all the info.First where is the TCU located?Transmission is full on fresh oil.Old oil was fine.I tried the different shift selections and first is all that is there with the TCU hooked up..I unhooked it at top of trans connection.Then it starts out in a higher gear.What pins do I need to check on the inhibitor switch,or how do I check it?How do you get the 4wd light to go off where is the switch located?

Edited by ogiwalljr
my improper spelling

Thanks for all the info.First where is the TCU located?Transmission is full on fresh oil.Old oil was fine.I tried the different shift selections and first is all that is there with the TCU hooked up..I unhooked it at top of trans connection.Then it starts out in a higher gear.What pins do I need to check on the inhibitor switch,or how do I check it?How do you get the 4wd light to go off where is the switch located?

The inhibitor switch is checked just like checking any other switch, only there are more wires. Check for continuity across the terminals with the switch in each position.

Disconnect the shift linkage so you can work the selector lever on the transmission by hand.

95 does not have a 4WD light as far as I know. It has a FWD light which stands for Front Wheel Drive. This light means the car is operating only in front wheel drive. Usually someone has put a fuse in the FWD fuse holder under the hood. It's located on the rear of the passenger strut tower. Black with FWD printed on it in white.

Remove the fuse and the AWD will be engaged, and the FWD light will go out.

If it doesn't go out there is a problem with wiring or electronics.

This will not likely affect your shifting issue. However, the light combined with the shifting issue points more toward a TCU issue.