Ultimate Subaru Message Board

brake job with caliper problems

I put new rear pads on my 92 legacy fwd. The driver side piston was frozen, though there was no damage or noted wear to the brake pads and no leaks. I did manage to use some strong leverage and release the piston so I could finish the install. I assume that that wheel has not been braking for a while since the piston was so locked up, but I have not noticed any change in stopping .

Is the caliper broke or since it was frozen will it work properly. I asked one person and they said since it froze it has to be replaced. I was looking at the advanced auto website and they sell loaded and semi loaded and some that say nothing about that, which would I need? thank you

If a piston is stuck, usually you need to remove the piston from the bore and inspect it and the bore. If they're not corroded, you can use a reseal kit and it should be OK. If there is excessive corrosion might as well put on a rebuilt. Or mess around with it to try to remove the rust yourself, and use a cylinder hone in the bore possibly.

Loaded calipers usually include the caliper and bracket with pads already mounted, ready to mount. You would not want this unless you were using it in pairs, because you want the pads to be the same type on both sides.

Semi loaded can mean different things, it might include new brake hardware and possibly the bracket.

I agree with other posts........once the piston seizes up, the caliper needs to be replaced. I don't think it is worth the time, effort, and energy to mess with the old caliper to get it to work.

I like buying auto parts from Advance Auto Parts. They offer discounts when you order on line, then can pick up at their store within a half hour or so. I think I used their "big 30" code for their best discount, when ordering. I think it gave a $30 discount off the radiator I ordered.

Last summer I put one of their calipers on the front of my 99 OBW. I bought caliper only. It came with a new mounting bracket and anti squeal shims. Caliper works great.

that code probably only worked because the dollar value of the order was over $100.

For any online order before you submit, google coupons for that vendor and you'll see what may be applicable.

O.

That may be so. "Big 30" code may be for purchase of $100 or more. Still there is always an active discount when ordering on line from Advance Auto Parts.